How do I delete protected operating system files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MicroBell said:
As this a a system file XP will not let you delete it. Have you tryed to take ownership of the file and delete it that way??

To take ownership, turn off "Hide protected operating system files" and turn on "Show hidden files and folders". Then right-click on the file..select, Properties, Security, Advanced, Owner, and there you can take ownership.

You may be able to delete it at this point.

That sounds great. But I don't have the option: "security, advanced, owner." Is there something special I have to do to get those options?

Here is a picture of the options I have when I right click the protected system file called "system volume information:"
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1j832/mydesktop.gif

In the picture you notice that the folder that was made after I merged the partitions is called CRAP; I had the foresight to name it appropriately, haha.

But more importantly I don't have those options you speak of. On the far left is the window that comes from the advanced button on the far right. Please tell me how to get these security and owner options, thank you.

If it helps I use Windows XP professional version 2002 Service Pack 1.

provoko said:
How do I delete protected operating system files in Windows XP?

Thanks for any help.

Edit:
Sorry, I forgot to say which OS, it's Windows XP.

Slave that hard drive onto another hard drive with an OS on it. If your target drive is NTFS, make sure that you are booting from another OS with NTFS.

Once you booted up with the other drive being a slave.... DELETE AWAY.

Why are you doing this?????

Thanks Silesia. I hope that method works. But it'll be the last thing I do since it's too much trouble.

I just tried knoppix, it booted up perfectly, although it wasn't able to delete the files. It said it couldn't do it, access denied or some other error messege.

I still want to know how to do MicroBell's method.

I have an idea......copy the files you want from your D: drive to your C: drive and then delete the partition and re-format your entire D: drive using partition magic again. After it is re-formatted, then copy the files back over that you wanted to keep on the original D: drive.

-Mike

Good idea mikesgroovin, but not practical. Thats another thing I would do if it was my last resort.

Why is this so hard? Shouldn't it be easy? I mean, it's just a file, I want it gone, there is no risk to my computer or OS. Isn't there some super expert mode that takes priority over every thing else?

it is because you are trying to delete a required file of the operating system. this is a measure of protection of the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom