How do I completely remove all Operating Systems from my Hard drve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I had Windows 7 and Vista on one hard drive. Drive became corrupted. There are 4 partitions on the drive.

I just want to remove all partitions, all Windows Operating Systems, and have a clean drive, ready to install Windows 7 Pro.

I have Gparted, but even after doing lots of Google searches, I still can't seem to figure it out.

I also tried a brand new version of Iolo's Drive Scrubber [Costco had the 3 user version for free last week], and it too would not do it.

Can someone here help me?

Thanks,

Soar

You need to Delete the partitions. Then Create new one(s).

GParted -- Screenshots

3rd screenshot shows it. Just use the delete option, then once they are all gone, do the thing but create them. All it is to get that menu is a simple right click.

You need to Delete the partitions. Then Create new one(s).

GParted -- Screenshots

3rd screenshot shows it. Just use the delete option, then once they are all gone, do the thing but create them. All it is to get that menu is a simple right click.

Mak,

Thanks again. Ok I did it and it worked exactly as you said.

I have a couple of more questions:

Now that the Harddrive is showing no partitions, can I simply use my Windows install disc to partition or do you suggest I use Gparted?

Second, if I do use Gparted, do I select NTFS as the correct file system?

Third, do I check Primary Partition for the OS [i think so]

Fourth, What the heck is free space preceeding/free space following?

Finally, How do I manage the flags?

Thanks,

Soar

PS

Here is my plan:

50GB for Windows 7 [I know, I know, it is a lot but I noticed data on my OS partition grows significantly as time goes on].

100 GB for Installed Programs

150 GB for Storage

-------
300 total GB's on the HD

I would still use GParted.

#2. yes select NTFS
#3. Yes must be primary for Windows.
#4. Free space preceding (before) and free space following (after) means what it sounds like. That will allow you to leave space before or after the created partition.
#5 you dont have to touch them. This is done by Windows during the install. The only time this should be messed with is when the boot is messed up due to removing a OS from a multi boot system.

I would still use GParted.

#2. yes select NTFS
#3. Yes must be primary for Windows.
#4. Free space preceding (before) and free space following (after) means what it sounds like. That will allow you to leave space before or after the created partition.
#5 you dont have to touch them. This is done by Windows during the install. The only time this should be messed with is when the boot is messed up due to removing a OS from a multi boot system.

Wow,

You did it again!

Thanks and I will do exactly as you have shown me here.

I really appreciate your help Mak. This is the very first time I have very used Gparted to reformat and create partitions.

Oh, do you recommend I place the OS in first partition, Programs in second partition, and Storage in last partition?

Or, does it even matter?

Soar

I would go with the OS on the first for sure. Makes things easier. Plus no matter what Windows will claim that partition as the C:\ drive so it will create less confusion for you later. ;)

As for the other ones, you can go either way. But for consistency i would go with programs then storage. Make life easier on yourself.

I would go with the OS on the first for sure. Makes things easier. Plus no matter what Windows will claim that partition as the C:\ drive so it will create less confusion for you later. ;)

As for the other ones, you can go either way. But for consistency i would go with programs then storage. Make life easier on yourself.

LOL!

You are the best!

Thanks for helping another rookie!

Soar

Not a problem. I think it is time to create a Gparted tutorial. LOL

Not a problem. I think it is time to create a Gparted tutorial. LOL

Well, to be 100% honest with you, I searched repeatedly on Google for an exact step-by-step explanation on how to reformat and how to remove partitions using the Gparted, and I could not find a detailed description Mak.

You showed me in 3 minutes. I looked for a long, long time.

I can only say thank you a million times over. If I lost one centimeter for every time you have bailed me out with incredibly accurate information and instruction, I wouldn't stand taller than six inches today!

Thanks again and wish I could help you out somehow one day!

Soar

Well i have gone and created the thread. Using much of the same information from the exact questions you asked in this thread. So you have got your answers and possibly have helped many more with the direction that you made me choose when writing up that tutorial. So much thanks to you for making me think outside of the box a bit when coming up with some information for that tutorial.

I learned GParted on my own. I didnt use any guides and everything i know of Gparted is from my own trials and errors. Needless to say i made many mistakes along the way and even formatted a couple partitions that i wish i didnt.

I am glad that i was able to help you get the job done with little issues. I never checked Google or any other search engine for this information so i didnt know that such information wasnt out there already.

In the end you have done as much for every one who wants to use the program as you have getting the advice needed for yourself. So you can have that centimeter back and be just over 6 inches tall. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom