How do I clear system tray settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Right click on the system time and select "Customize Notification Icons..." from the menu.

See all that stuff? Settings for how to display applications that use the system tray.

I see some stuff in there that I haven't used in a long time. How do I make it go away? For both privacy reasons and clutter reasons, I'd like some of the stuff out of there.

I'd prefer a method that didn't require a program to clear it, but I'm listening to anything.

Thanks for any help!

I am guessing that most of those apps were uninstalled by the Windows Add/Remove programs menu?

If so you most likely still have some registry keys that are causing this. Best program i know of to scour the registry is Registry Crawler.

But if you want to try it yourself you can. I dont like to suggest it but i am almost positive that is what is causing this.

Just to be nosey....why does it bother you? I mean how often does anyone really look at that menu?

Thank you for the advice, Makaveli213.

By the power of Google, I have discovered a way to accomplish what I wanted. I'll post it here in case anyone else is interested:

If you have items in Past Items that are have long ago been removed from the system and want to remove them from the list, use the following procedure.

Click Start > Run > Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.

Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click End Process.

Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom