How do I change XP GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I am cleaning up a friends PC that was given to him by his aunt who worked for HP. There is all kinds of corporate stuff I have been getting rid of.

I was able to bypass the windows logon using tweakui but I am wondering how I change the graphics so it looks like mine; the top photo.

The same goes for the User Accounts GUI.

Ideally I would like to rid the system of any PW's but the last time I remeber doing this is created a lot of problems.

If your asking how to change the Login screen and how the shutdown screen looks, then you have to:
  1. Log in with administrator access.
  2. Click on Start, Control Panel, and select user accounts.
  3. Click on Change the Way Users Log On or Off.
  4. Click on the Box "Use the Welcome Screen" so that there is checked.

If your asking how to change the Login screen and how the shutdown screen looks, then you have to:
  1. Log in with administrator access.
  2. Click on Start, Control Panel, and select user accounts.
  3. Click on Change the Way Users Log On or Off.
  4. Click on the Box "Use the Welcome Screen" so that there is checked.

thanks,
however,
that is my problem, I have full administrator access but everything is changed. I already had to go into the registry and modify settings to allow windows update.

When I go into the User accounts via Control panel settings it looks like this:

Oh :(. Looking into it. I'll get back to you if I find any info.

Edit:
Not sure if this would really solve anything but still worth spilling out.
Since you already have Admin rights as you said, have you tried:

1. Logging in safe mode
  2. Make a new user with full admin rights
  3. Reboot in safe mode
  4. Login back with the new account you made
  5. Delete the HP account (make sure and backup specific data if any).

You have your system setup to not even use the login screen. That is what that screen is showing. Also there is no reason that you should have to modify the Registry to allow for Windows updates. There is something more wrong with your machine than a simple GUI change will fix.

You need to do a repair install.

You have your system setup to not even use the login screen. That is what that screen is showing. Also there is no reason that you should have to modify the Registry to allow for Windows updates. There is something more wrong with your machine than a simple GUI change will fix.

You need to do a repair install.

sorry but you do not know what you are talking about as far as the windows update issue. you may be right about the login screen.. Corporate administrators disable windows upsdate with registry settings. see here.

sorry but you do not know what you are talking about as far as the windows update issue. you may be right about the login screen.. Corporate administrators disable windows upsdate with registry settings. see here.

This issue occurs if Windows Update is turned off by one of the following settings:

* Group Policy
* System policy
* Registry

Direct from Microsoft, meaning a setting has been changed, that shouldn't have been if the updates were wanted. You, someone that has access to the computer, or a virus has made this change. Also, this all could have been resolved WITHOUT going into the registry...

You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update

This issue occurs if Windows Update is turned off by one of the following settings:

* Group Policy
* System policy
* Registry

Direct from Microsoft, meaning a setting has been changed, that shouldn't have been if the updates were wanted. You, someone that has access to the computer, or a virus has made this change. Also, this all could have been resolved WITHOUT going into the registry...

You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update

Thanks.
I thought so but I found the link i provided that resolved it through the registry.
I am quite sure it was done by Corporate IT. Hopefully I can resolve the other issue I keep encountering through the Group Policy settings.

I'm going to throw in what is probably a newbie comment, but somtimes it helps to remember the most basic things. So here goes...

The Windows XP that a corporate PC has is probably Windows XP Pro rather than Windows XP Home. The logon settings and screen are probably somewhat different.

So while you can remove all password requirements, you probably won't be able to remove the logon screen entirely. It may be that the system will still boot to the Welcome screen and the user will have to click on a button to logon, though no password would be required.

[Sorry, after posting I finally got that you were able to get rid of the logon screen. No way to delete my post - frustrating.]

I'm going to throw in what is probably a newbie comment, but somtimes it helps to remember the most basic things. So here goes...

The Windows XP that a corporate PC has is probably Windows XP Pro rather than Windows XP Home. The logon settings and screen are probably somewhat different.

So while you can remove all password requirements, you probably won't be able to remove the logon screen entirely. It may be that the system will still boot to the Welcome screen and the user will have to click on a button to logon, though no password would be required.

[Sorry, after posting I finally got that you were able to get rid of the logon screen. No way to delete my post - frustrating.]

Thanks.

I found the problem. It is that The computer Administrator is a member of a domain and not a workgroup. When this happens there is no normal login screen , only the ctr-alt-del screen. this link led me in the right direction.
I went thru this on another pc a while back and remember after changing from domain to workgroup I was locked out of windows and had to hack back in with a boot disc. so i am reading up on this here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom