How do I boot to DOS? Also Memory Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandivine

Baseband Member
Windows XP Home, When I right click my computer and then click on properties, advanced tab, then settings, under Startup and Recovery, Which one of these four options should be there where it says Write debugging info?

None, Small Memory Dump(64kb), Kernal Memory Dump, Complete Memory Dump.................

Also, How do I boot to DOS?

Thanks, DSH

Well, None would obviously not write any dubugging information. A small memory dump would write the smallest amount of information to help isolate the problem. The Kernal Memory Dump would record only the critical system information, although this is usually going to give you the best idea of what is wrong. The complete memory dump will record EVERY process that failed during the hault....this file is usually so general that is very difficult to isolate the problem. But it is good in the way of telling which dependent system process fail during a system cascading failure.
Usually, to the typical end user, these are giberish....seriously!
If you have an application that fails and you get the "Send report to microsoft message"....this is the file that is created and then sent to a dump location on Microsoft's FTP site. Also, a file is created if a blue-screen occurs.
I would choose small or kernal.
Also, these errors take up space on your paging file. I believe that this is because during the hault....the "drive" is inaccessable, but the system can still access the paging file because the system considers it a part of the system RAM. It doesn't copy it to normal RAM for obvious reasons. ;)

As for booting to DOS, you have to create an MS-DOS startup disk. If you pop in a floppy in your PC and right-click on the A:/ and click Format, Create a MS-DOS boot disk is one of your options.

-Mike

Thanks for that info.

I live in Catonsville. I have some friends near you over there in Woodbine......

No problem...
Yea, I have a friend that lived on Braeside Rd. for a while...right by the Metro market. At least I think it was Metro. I dunno....but there is this pizza joint called Today's Pizza or something and it was some of the best pizza. A large for $6!
Hope your system problem works out...

My friends have 180 acres on Flag Marsh road. A small farm.
They fly their airplanes from there.
Next time i go up there i will check out the pizzi place.
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom