How to convert an .avi to something a DVD player will read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris3000GT

Solid State Member
I've got some movies that I'd like to view on my TV instead of my 15" monitor. So I need to know what type of file I need to convert a avi file into that a DVD player will read. I know it can be done, one of my friends does it, but I don't know the actuall process. I think I convert it to a VCD or SVCD or something like that.

i don't think that advice was very helpful. Kris3000GT this is done with SVCD usually. to do this you would need a program to convert the AVI video files to MPEG2 which is the format SVCD requires and use a cd-burning program to burn that file to CD.

this explains it better than i could:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert#12

So I convert the file to MPEG2 then chose the SVCD in the burning program to make the file playable on a DVD player? Thanx for the help!

Oh, and what conversion program would you recommend from Doom9? I've got a burning program that will burn to SVCD already.

OK, maybe I don't have a cd burning program that uses SVCD:(
Could u guys suggest any free programs that use SVCD, if any exist. I might just have to go buy nero.

Also, I've got the WinMPG. So I choose avi to mpg2 then use the burning program to burn to SVCD? Or can I just use avi to VCD? Will that just burn it to a cd there or what?

SVCD is just a structure i beleive. if you make a folder called VIDEO_TS and put your mpeg2 in there i think that is all that is required. you would only waste 1 cd to test this out.

hmm... i used to use 'vcd easy' which was free like 2 yrs ago.. i think (unless you pay or steal it) it might be crippleware now. it would be wise to just get a commerical cd recording application as just about all of them now have a video cd option.

Alright, I've got Nero now that will burn a VCD. So in WinMPG do I choose avi to mpeg2 or avi to VCD? And does SVCD use MPEG2 also? Which format has better quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom