How can I zoom in on a program or force a resolution???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Ok I came to this section because this goes beyond the game itself but I'm trying to play a old game (Star Wars Rebellion, from 1998, its directx 5.0 directdraw) and it doesn't work on Vista 64. So I was going to try and run it through VMware with XP. It will install no problem but it will not go to full screen mode. Instead it will just make a window which I would say is about 480x320. This is a big problem since that means on my default resolution the screen is like 8 inches. And even if I lower my computers resolution everytime, the screen is still pretty small and my monitor doesn't like different resolutions for some reason so it changes the shape of the picture.

So basically I'm wondering is there a program I can use to zoom in on the program? I tried a couple but they all just make another window next to it which wouldn't be good for gaming. Or is there a way I could force the program to run at a higher res or force full screen on it? I tried a couple of commands in the shortcut like putting "......game.exe" -w1024 -h768 but that had no effect.

Hey Dario03,
I think the native resolution of that game is 640x480. Try -w, -h with that and let me know. I know that isn't high enough but it's allot better than 480x320 (ish..)

I thought the resolution for the game was suppose to be 640x480 to. But I'm running the computer at 1280x1024 and the little screen isn't quite half the width of the screen. In any case I tried the -w -h commands and it has no affect.

Did you try just installing the game in Vista and using Compatiblity mode? It is there just like it was in XP...

Right click on the installer and select properties. From there you will see the compatibility tab. Just select the OS you want to run it on and then install. Do the same for the executable.

Tried It, it won't let me install it even with compatibility mode. I believe its possible to install in 32bit Vista but I'm running 64bit. It says

"Unsupported 16-Bit Application

The prgram or feature cannot start or run due to incompatibilty with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

Yes that would be why. 64 Bit doesnt have 16 Bit support anymore. Just 32 and 64 Bit.

Yeah but it will run in VMware xith xp 32bit. It just makes the screen really small because it doesn't stretch the image.
So does anyone know of a program that lets you zoom in and lock the mouse to a part of the screen?
Or know a way to force a old game to run at a different resolution?

Other that what has been already suggested. No. The only other thing you could try would be a screen magnifier program. but that is only for a small section. There is nothing out there like what you are looking for.

Well I sorta got it going. Basically the game does seem to be a 640x480 game, I think it was so small because I run Vista at 1280x1024 and the XP at 1024x768. In any case I used powerstrip to get Vista down to 640x480. So not the way I was hopeing to do it but it works and surprisingly my monitor works ok at that resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom