how can i trick a software into believing that i have more RAM, the i actually have

Status
Not open for further replies.

silent_siren

Solid State Member

hello all :)
i am trying to install adobe dreamweaver CS3 ,
but it wont let me install coz i dont have 512 RAM ,
i actually have 256 MB

i dont want to buy more RAM ( even though its cheap ) ,
so i would really be grateful if someone could help me out of this
can i fool this installer into believing that i have 512 ?
and yes i dont care if it will run slow or even will hang my system after i successfully install it with 256 MB RAM

i found this link after googling
VMware: Virtualization via Hypervisor, Virtual Machine & Server Consolidation - VMware

guess its lil complex , so i would appreciate any new ideas :)

thanx in advance

Re: how can i trick a software into believing that i have more RAM, the i actually ha

There will be for sure a way to trick it via the registry but I don't know how. Dreamweaver CS3 would stuck even with 512mbyte anyways. Ram is really cheap and you surely need an upgrade. I have 2gigs of Ram. How many years do you have your pc? If you still don't want to upgrade then you should find a newer version of DW like Dreamweaver 8/CS.

P.S what you found won't help you solve your problem it's virtualization which would run with fewer capabilities of your pc.

Re: how can i trick a software into believing that i have more RAM, the i actually ha

Hello,

So you dont want to buy more RAM, yet you bought CS3? Which is like the amount of a new PC. Okay makes sense.

There is not a Registry hack nor is there any tricks that can be done to trick Windows into thinking you have more RAM than you do. There isnt anything in the Registry about it. The registry has nothing to do with the RAM at all. That is held deeper in the system.

I have gon ethru my Registry and there is nothing in there regards to RAM Amount.

Sorry. Either buy more RAM or dont use CS3.

Cheers,
Mak

Like Mak said, there's nothing you can do.

If you did buy CS3, I suggest returning it and maybe getting a credit for an older version.

Dreamweaver 8 is a excellent product, I've used it. And it only requires 256 MB ram.

link: Dreamweaver system requirements

Hello,

So you dont want to buy more RAM, yet you bought CS3? Which is like the amount of a new PC. Okay makes sense.

There is not a Registry hack nor is there any tricks that can be done to trick Windows into thinking you have more RAM than you do. There isnt anything in the Registry about it. The registry has nothing to do with the RAM at all. That is held deeper in the system.

I have gon ethru my Registry and there is nothing in there regards to RAM Amount.

Sorry. Either buy more RAM or dont use CS3.

Cheers,
Mak

Oops sorry. I just thought that somewhere in the registry there would be a value for every system part...

Hello,

No. There is only Registry entries for Software. That is mainly what hte Registry controls. Software and Windows. It does not have any control over hardware at all.

Cheers,
Mak

There is a reason for those hardware minimums.

The point of the registry is to have settings and software (not hardware) profiles within the system. I'm going to get some of this wrong b/c i'm going off the top of my head, but in general there are four registry folders, one has all of the settings for every user that uses that computer, the other is the settings for the currect user (again these are just general settings, nothing too specific), there is another that has all of the drivers for the OS and software that interacts with the OS. So that when you go to your device manager, you are able to 'roll back' drivers, b/c you have copies within your registry. I believe the other is the environmental settings of the OS itself. I'm not 100$% sure about that one.

Hardware is hardware, i really don't even think the OS actually reads the hardware specs. Each device (lets take ram for an example) has its own bios that communicates with the OS, letting it know what it is, and its specs. You cannot 'trick' an OS into thinking it has more RAM. Can you trick your OS into thinking you have a PCI express video card with 512 mb memory when you actually only have onboard - no. Same principle.

Something that I just remembered is that there used to be software that compresses your RAM for you. One popular one was called RAM Doubler. That was a long, long time ago when people didn't have much RAM. It's not being sold now, but maybe you can find something similar and try it out.

thanks everyone for takin out time :)

and yeah , i understand now that it cant be done !!

@MAK

"So you dont want to buy more RAM, yet you bought CS3? Which is like the amount of a new PC. Okay makes sense."

no offence meant , but i think i clearly wrote thr that i dont wanna buy more ram , doesnt matter u give it to me for free.

MY sole aim was just to try and see if it is actually possible to do something like this .
So no point in trying to bring out any sense from it !!
It's sole purpose was to learn .

And for records sake , try finding out how many people bought dreamweaver CS3( a few hundred ) , and how many actually have it ( few hundred thousand ):D !!

cheers,
XOXO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom