How can I transfer my entire harddrive contents to another harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think old versions of ghost will work with vista as long as you're booting to dos and running ghost. This way there is no interaction with the OS. Ghost itself is a low level system. It copies bits off the drive and saves them to a file. If you put the same bits in the same place on the disk, you can expect the same results, if you're using the same hardware.

Acronis True Image touts being able to restore to different hardware

soon im going to try to virtualize a physical machine. the plan is to boot to knoppix (linux live cd) and run dd piped to gzip and split to image the disk. Repeat the process with a different switch in dd to restore the disk to a vm.

Instructions
michi blog: HDD or partition backup with dd

ghost 2003 will never work right with sata drives

I have not used clonzilla but have heard good things about it. I do have experience with ghost and it works well. Just try it with your vista install and see if it works. It should be no problem. You really cannot mess up because what you do is install the new drive, ghost the info over and then set it up to be the primary boot drive. If something is messed up on it you still have the original drive with all the information and you would just have to switch it back to being the primary boot device.

ASUS P6T Deluxe :: INTEL i7 920 @3.8 :: XFX GTX260 :: Corsair 1600 6gb :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Vista Ultimate X64

You have the exact same motherboard and processor setup that I was thinking of buying for myself but only if it is compatible with Norton ghost 2003. You replied to "soarwitheagles" enquiry about using either Norton ghost 2003 or Clonezilla that you have had experience using Norton ghost. I need to know please if you meant that you had used Norton ghost 2003 with your ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard to successfully create a drive image.

I only use Norton ghost 2003 for my drive imaging as I know that it can successfully create a drive image of any operating system from Linux, Mac's, XP or Vista without any problems providing that the motherboard of the PC supports its use.

If it does could you also tell me if the motherboard version that you have of the ASUS P6T Deluxe is version 1 or version 2 so that I can buy the appropriate one.

Thanking you for any assistance given in advance.

Cheers-ozcol.

Have not use ghost 2003 with my current setup.

Used it with many an xp and win 2k machine.
Clients only. Not my own for I prefer a reinstall to a ghosted image.

Why would the ability to use ghost 2003 make or break your decision to purchase new equipment.

Have not use ghost 2003 with my current setup.

Why would the ability to use ghost 2003 make or break your decision to purchase new equipment.
- Because it is the only simple to use drive imaging program that does not need to be installed on the operating system to create a drive image of it from a hard drive partition.

Therefore I am able to use it on my computers for all Windows and LINUX operating systems that I install on it.

I am seeking to upgrade from my existing ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard with the dual core CPU to the ASUS P6T Deluxe with a i7 quad core for its superior capabilities especially with photo shop and video encoding.

Thank you for your speedy response to my request for assistance and I realise that you have not used it on your current setup but could you please insert the ghost 2003 CD into your CD drive and tell me if it is able to boot from it (you will need a PS/2 mouse plugged into the motherboard to achieve this and in the bios if it is similar to the P5Q Deluxe have the "marvell ide"-" enabled" , the "SATA configuration" set to "compatible" , with "configure SATA" as "IDE") and if you are able to reach the GUI that requests whether you "want to continue without marking drives". If you are able to boot from the ghost 2003 CD and have not able to reach the GUI stage because you are not aware of the necessary steps that are required, please just let me know and I will forward them on to you.

Thank you for any further assistance given, and thank you greatly for your response thus far.

Cheers-ozcol.

- Because it is the only simple to use drive imaging program that does not need to be installed on the operating system to create a drive image of it from a hard drive partition.

Really?

Clonezilla

They have a LiveCD version that you can use to clone a drive without booting into a OS. This is a much better alternative than relying on software that is alreasy 5 years old and hasnt been tested to work properly without work arounds on Vista or Win7. While CloneZilla will.

It also works on Linux. Since it is Linux based. So CloneZilla can do what you want.

Ghost 2003:
Well it boots into the gui interface just fine with my board.
Side note it is the P6T Deluxe V2.
Bios settings:
IDE
Compatable.

Sees my hard drive as well.

Hope this helps.

Really?

Clonezilla

They have a LiveCD version that you can use to clone a drive without booting into a OS. This is a much better alternative than relying on software that is alreasy 5 years old and hasnt been tested to work properly without work arounds on Vista or Win7."Thank you for your input but as Norton ghost 2003 is PC DOS-based it is not dependent on the operating system software but whether the hardware supports it, that is the motherboard." While CloneZilla will. "I will bear this in mind in future if I come across a computer with hardware that is not compatible with Norton ghost 2003 whose functionality that I know inside and out."

It also works on Linux. Since it is Linux based. "I use another Linux based program called Gparted quite often and this sounds very a very worthwhile tip which I greatly appreciate." So CloneZilla can do what you want.

Thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into responding to my request for assistance.
Cheers-ozcol.

Ghost 2003:
Bios settings:
IDE
Compatable.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your responses to my requests. You are the only person in the world that has been able to answer my question Re: the compatibility of Norton ghost 2003 with the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard version 2.
Now thanks to you I feel comfortable in pursuing the upgrading of my computer to and i7 CPU with DDR3 memory and the aforementioned motherboard with a new suitable graphics card too.

I really can't thank you enough Hefemeisteras as I have tried many a Forum and computer store to check whether Norton ghost 2003 would work with your motherboard and CPU set up but to no avail until now.

Once I have done some price comparisons and arranged the sourcing of the necessary parts and completed the assembly process with software installation I will make a further post on how it all went.

Until then: Cheers-ozcol.

Ghost 2003:
Bios settings:
IDE
Compatable.

Hope this helps.

Well I have finally assembled my computer and programmed it!
I used the following components:
P6T Deluxe v2
i7 920
gigabyte 4850 1G
500 GB Sata
TEAM 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Pioneer 217 [X2]
Coolermaster CAC-T05 CASE
CORSAIR 620W HX PSU
XP media Centre 2005

And it worked just perfectly thank you very much with Norton GHOST 2003.
As you stated you just had to select compatible and IDE in the BIOS setup
utility and it works without any problems.
I cannot thank you enough Hefemeister as you were the only person in the
world with the solution to my problem. If you ever decide to visit the
Great Southern land please do drop me a line as would be only too happy
to give you are guided tour of its major sites and attractions as a means
of a thank you.

Cheers - ozcol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom