how can I modify my boot ini file to find my OS's - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

[boot loader]
;timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW

S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect <-- Will be your Boot.ini config with both Windows XP Home, and MCE.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

what did I do wrong? it isn't working

[boot loader]
;timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Take out the last, [operating systems], and only have 1 at the beginning of the entry.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by __Camouflage__
Take out the last, [operating systems], and only have 1 at the beginning of the entry.
it say invalid boot path when I take it out in boot.ini path under msconfig, but it says it's fine when I leave it in. what does
noexecute=optin mean?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Alright, I'll show you my dual boot Boot.ini file, just so you can get a better glimpse of it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The NoExecute=OptIn has something to do with DEP (Data Execution Prevention), I have no clue on it, but you could google it for more info.

EDIT : Are you sure you got your "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)" Settings right on the entries?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I figure this much out right now. my home boot.ini is on my second partition of my40 gig ide drive (there isn't much else there. i was planning to install xp 64 bit or xandros there) whereas my other boot.ini is on my sata drive

I'm going to set my ide drive to boot in the bios or I will reinstall acronis Os selector and point it to that drive

edit. I can now boot to whichever os that I set the hard drive to boot from (even though both os are installed on the sata drive), but I can"t get them to show up at boot together

bootcfg /rebuild didn't work either

I guest that I will have to unhook the ide drives to do what I want.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

bootcfg /rebuild worked when I unplug the ide drives. i made sure that I deleted the boot files on the ide drive first

thanks guys
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Makaveli213
Eric try EasyBCD. It is the Vista Boot Loader editor. That might alow you to be able to get all 4 on there.
I'm trying this out. what do I do with it? I now have MCE, XP sp1, XP 64bit and vista installed (I delete everything but mce last night). during the install process, I seen (briefly) that it recognize MAC

Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I believe you just have to add the entries. I know the indivual who wrote the application. I will ask him personally how to accomplish this feat.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

it jack my setting up so bad that i lost complete access to mce and xp 64.

Closed Thread