How can I get Vista to recognize and format the other partition in my HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I installed a new harddrive western digital sata 320gb. While installing Windows Vista Ultimate, I partitioned the drive so there was a 100 gb partition for Windows Vista. I could not figure out how to format the other portion of the hard drive. Now only the 100gb portion is showing when I click My Computer.

Can anyone tell me how to find and partition the other 200gb of the hard drive please?

Last, I have a Maxtor 1tb to install next. Will my system automatically pick it up or must I do something special to help Vista "see it" and format it?

It's me,

Soar

Click the Start orb > right click 'Computer' > go to Manage > click 'Disk management' on the left side panel, and find the partition in the list on the bottom half. Should be alongside your OS partition, of 100GB. Right click it, and it should either say 'Format' or 'New partition' can't remember which, been a while since I've done it.

Is the 1TB drive a normal internal drive, an internal drive you put into an external enclosure yourself, or is it a retail-bought external? If anything but retail external, you'll have to do the same steps as above. If its a retail external drive...then you shouldn't have to do anything to it.

Click the Start orb > right click 'Computer' > go to Manage > click 'Disk management' on the left side panel, and find the partition in the list on the bottom half. Should be alongside your OS partition, of 100GB. Right click it, and it should either say 'Format' or 'New partition' can't remember which, been a while since I've done it.

Is the 1TB drive a normal internal drive, an internal drive you put into an external enclosure yourself, or is it a retail-bought external? If anything but retail external, you'll have to do the same steps as above. If its a retail external drive...then you shouldn't have to do anything to it.

Thanks again Carnage!

BTW-my fault on the OS install...I had put in a PCI-X1 in the MO and that is what was giving us the problems with the install.

To answer your question: The Maxtor is an internal 1TB. So I suppose I am to do it the same way as you explained above!

Hey! I really appreciate you and the help you have given me.

Have a good one!

Soar

Carnage,

You were right on that identify and format issue. I did as you said and it is formatting right now.

Thanks again!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom