How to buckup HDD onto CD, DVD or Spare HDD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Symantec Ghost is the best choice. This is the method I use. You can back up your HD to ANYTHING using this.

Shadow Copy is the second best choice. Built right into Windows XP by Microsoft and can be found under System Tools. It allows you to back up to a CD or DVD and it complains but also to another Harddrive

drive image 7 or v2i protecter are the best. powerquest made them (they made partition magic too). norton bought powerquest out. they tried to intergrate it into ghost. it don't work as good now.

theme program and tranformation packs give norton ghost fits (it won't work) and don't you dare try to use it with sata drive or through a network.

try to get the old versions. it will cost you maybe 20-30 bucks

EricB said:
drive image 7 or v2i protecter are the best. powerquest made them (they made partition magic too). norton bought powerquest out. they tried to intergrate it into ghost. it don't work as good now.

theme program and tranformation packs give norton ghost fits (it won't work) and don't you dare try to use it with sata drive or through a network.

try to get the old versions. it will cost you maybe 20-30 bucks

I dont understand? We are running symantec ghost enterprise edition 9 here at work and I Have never had ANY issues ghosting to/from SATA or to/from network. Network is about the only way I use it via ghost cast server multicasting..but perhaps home versions have more trouble? I want to checkout the Powerquest software and have convinced my boss to order us a few here so I will post a review once we get that rolling. I am a big fan of powerquest espicially there partition magic software.

Thanks for the help guys.

Just one more thing i ended up purchasing Norton Ghost 2003 which i backed up my hard drive to DVD to test it.

The only thing i wanted to know is whether my Ghost 2003 supports SATA drives ?

Win2kpatcher said:
I dont understand? We are running symantec ghost enterprise edition 9 here at work and I Have never had ANY issues ghosting to/from SATA or to/from network. Network is about the only way I use it via ghost cast server multicasting..but perhaps home versions have more trouble? I want to checkout the Powerquest software and have convinced my boss to order us a few here so I will post a review once we get that rolling. I am a big fan of powerquest espicially there partition magic software.

you know my typing isn't that good. I meant networking with sata (or sata period)

it also won't work if you have a program like style xp.

AMD_Rules said:
Thanks for the help guys.

Just one more thing i ended up purchasing Norton Ghost 2003 which i backed up my hard drive to DVD to test it.

The only thing i wanted to know is whether my Ghost 2003 supports SATA drives ?

no. ghost 2003 is junk. you have to use seperate hard drives with it. if you have 2 partitions on 1 drive it, it will overwrite both partitons and you will finish with 1 C drive. this is a known defect in ghost 2003. norton gave me a free ghost 9 because of this issue. I didn't use it because I had discover drive image by then and I couldn't get to work (I had style xp. it took me awhile to figure that out. I found out from this forum, that quite a few people also had this poblem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom