How to boot from Slave Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

qball419

Solid State Member
Here is my problem: I have a PC with a ATA hard drive with Windows 2003 Server. This
setup is fine. Recently I got a 160GB Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA hard drive.
When I open up the case to install, I notice that the old HD is configured as a master on the primary controller.
So I put my new Seagate into one of the slot and choose the 'Cable Select' setting. Both HD's jumper
setting is on neither master or slave. So their desgination is now dictated by the ATA ribbon cable connection.
I plug the master (black) plug into the Seagate and the slave plug into the old HD. My question is:
now that my OS is on the slave drive, how do I boot the OS from. I don't see an option
on the boot sequence to boot from the slave HD. I can only select the HD drive letter which is C.
Obviosuly I get an error because it is now booting from the Seagate drive which is freshly formatted. But
it won't try to boot from the slave HD. Can someone please advise on how to boot from the slave drive
or do I have to switch the HD around? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I woulden't use cable select on eather drive, Just set your old drive to master and the new one to slave..

^^ that's right... don't bother with cable select. your computer is looking for the first block on the master hard drive for the boot loader. so if you put your drive with the OS on it on master and the new drive on slave, everything will be fine

Thanks!!

Thanks for all your help guys. I decided to remove the jumper shunt from my Seagate thus making it a slave HD and configure the old HD to be the master. It boots perfectly. I didn't see any option to boot from the other HD from the BIOS. I can only seem to change the boot sequence and the BIOS seems to detect only 1 drive letter for the hard drive. How would you go about doing this? I am just curious and want to learn how you would do this. Anyways, thanks for your response!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom