how to bookmark frequently used programs

bigdan

Daemon Poster
There's an Excel file I regularly use but cant find a way to bookmark it. Once I open Excel I can get to it easily enough, but how can I set it up so I can access it from the desktop?

In the left side of the start menu there's a horizontal line. Below it I see Word and Access, even Video Players, each of which have an arrow to the right (what's that called?) which has a list of the most used files within that program, so I can easily access them. Excel however is above that line and has no arrow (dropdown? its technically horizontal). Not sure why. Please help.

Oh also please do familiarize me with the terms, 'left side of the start menu', 'right side of the start menu' (which has the names Documents, Pictures, etc), top left of start menu, bottom left, etc. Not technically-savvy terms!

And I'd really like to go back to the XP Start Menu, where it displays over the screen, not all in the left column. Can that not be done?

If you're on Windows 7, you can pin Excel to your taskbar and then access documents via the jump list (right clicking the excel icon while in the taskbar), and you can then pin one of the jump list items.

If you're on Windows 7, you can pin Excel to your taskbar and then access documents via the jump list (right clicking the excel icon while in the taskbar), and you can then pin one of the jump list items.

thanks. i dont want to put it in there though, it gets too crowded there. appreciate the help.

The easiest way would be to find the Excel file you want to "bookmark" in Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select Send to->Desktop. This will create a shortcut on the desktop to the file and you will be able to access it by simply double-clicking the shortcut.

Back
Top Bottom