how to block a site in Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
There's a very specific web site I want to block. I say in Chrome because that's the only browser I use, but I don't care if it's system-wide.

LOL, it's someone's Facebook profile. She's my ex and, as immature as it sounds, sometimes I have trouble gathering up the willpower to not check up on her. So I need to block her specific profile, like "www.facebook.com/batsh*tcrazywoman". I need to not be able to manually visit the address.

Any ideas?

You can block a site by modifying the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file; however, it won't just block one single page, it'll block the entire domain.
basically, it's used to override DNS lookups in resolving IP addresses.
If you put 127.0.0.1 as the IP for a domain (i.e. yourself), it's not going to find what it's looking for.
eg adding 127.0.0.1 Welcome to Facebook | Facebook will block facebook

For blocking a specific page or subdomain, I tend to use Firefox + Adblock Plus. I don't know if any equivalents for Chrome have been developed.

Maybe your Router can block just that specific URL? Cause there is no software that i know of that can. Maybe a Firewall? But most of those are like the host files. They block the whole domain.

hmm I didn't realize that. But then does that mean she can't see my facebook page? I think it might be perceived as immature if I block her... I don't hate her and she doesn't hate me, I just hurt right now and need to give myself some time away.

I guess I'll use this as a good opportunity to work on self-control!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom