how big should System Volume Information be?

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I've downloaded a tool to see where all my space is being used up. Disk Analyzer.

I have a 1 TB hard drive. When I look at the biggest files on my hard drive, I'm seeing a number of files with really weird names (starting with a '{' symbol and a mix of alphanumeric with like 20 characters). The largest file is 17.85 GB, and there's like 10 with similar names. They're all in the folder System Volume Information, ranging from 18 GB to 2 GB. Total of about 65 GB.

Is this normal?

That depends... SVI stores your Volume Shadow Copies, Restore Points, Indexing data among other things. The folder can become quiet large over time, I can't imagine a 17GB file in SVI, then again I also have most those features disabled...

So do you have System Restore enabled? What about Indexing services or the Volume Shadow Copies? I can see shadow copies having a 15+GB file in there now that I think about it, as that 15GB file may be hundreds of smaller files.

i believe i do have system restore enabled. shouldn't everyone?

Up to you. For me personally, it's rarely worked at solving system issues when trying to restore back to a working point.

But for borked updates, that can sometimes be the only way to get back into your system.

i believe i do have system restore enabled. shouldn't everyone?

By default yes, but a large amount of users disable it to save on disk space, or because they have no need for such services. For some users it's easier just to use backup software and restore back to the most recent backup.

Back
Top Bottom