How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings

Hello,

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

there should be a setting to backup your date. at the worst case scenario, you should back up your application data folder then restore it

Old 01-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

express is a pain to backup, unlike outlook.

this makes it easy, just download the trail and save to removable media

http://www.outlook-express-backup.com/
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you can export your messages and your address book but I don't konw about settings, they may well be covered by the FAST wizard but i don't know that.
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yes from what I remember it backs up everything
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hello,

Thank you for the replies. I also found Outlook Express Backup Genie From what I understood, it can backup other e-mail clients also. Pretty neat
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You don't really need any kind of backup software for backing up Outlook Express. I do it all the time on ppl's computers before I reinstall them. Basically all the emails are stored in a number of dbx files located in C:\Documents and Settings\"YOURNAME"\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{61923E53-EF3F-4E59-9D43-9C2BC333FE3D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
^^ There may be a few folders in identities with different numbers if you have more than 1 identity in Express.
Just copy the files on to a removable device and then when you have re-installed point express to the copied location.
All you have to do is File>Import>messages>microsoft outlook express 6>import from oe6 directory>browse removal device>finish
Hey presto all your emails are back.
Also note - Export you mail account settings from Tools>Accounts>Mail>Export and save the iaf files for each mail account you have set up. This will eliminate the need to put all your pop servers etc. back in when you re-install.
And last thing remember your address book. Export it to a .wab file from adresses>file>export
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I can back up to 1 file with the prog intead of 3 without it.

and then i can resore the 1 file instead of importing 3 files

Closed Thread