How to backup Outlook 2000 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2005, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default How to backup Outlook 2000

What's the best way to backup Outlook? I need to backup everything I have stored, I don't use it for email but I have a lot of contacts, notes, tasks and I also use it to archive posts on a business forum I visit.

So is there any way to do an all inclusive back where I could technically take the back up to a different machine and restore everything in Outlook like my home PC?

Also, do any of you all have any ideas on the best way to archive threads on a forum? This business forum I visit only shows the past month or two of posts and the search engine on the site has much to be desired. For now I am opening a new email in out look and then pasting the info in it and then save it as a draft. I though about just using word but Outlook makes it easy to sort and sarch for specific info.

Anyways, the main problem I have is how to backup Outlook. Thanks.

Edit: I have played with exporting info but it seems to only do a folder at a time.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to dumdum8684

If you use the export took and export to a file and use a personal folder file. Then select your Mailbox (this includes mail, calander, contacts, and tasks). If you have other folders at the very top level than you would have to do it for each of them. That is what I found...Hope that Helps...

My Computer:
-UV Reactive Acrylic Mid-Size Case
-Thermaltake 420W
-AMD Athlon XP \"Barton\" 3200+ 400MHz
-Cooler Master Aero7+
-Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
-nVidia GeForce FX 5700 128MB
-2x Kingston HyperX 512MB PC3200
-2x 200GB WD 7200 8MB SATA
-2x 12\" UV Cold Cathodes
-5x 80MM 4UV LED Blue UV-Reactive Fans

My Laptop:
P3 750MHz, 512MB, CD-RW/DVD Combo, 15.1\" TFT, 20GB HD, 32MB integrated video
Old 07-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Someone told me that if you back up the files in .....
C:\Documents and Settings\"profile name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

That will allow you to restore it from scratch like normal. Is that correct? I haven't had the chance to test it.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Cody

It is all saved into a .pst file. You can search your pc for *.pst or open Outlook and right click your "Outlook today Personal Folders" (if you don't see it, do View > Folder List), click properties, then advanced. If you look, you will see where the file is sitting on your local machine. Just copy that file (or burn it) to whever you want.

Note: You will need to close Outlook to move it because it is being used by outlook.
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2 GB PC 3200 DUal-Channel
ATI Radeon 7500 (Omega driver)
2 x 120 GB Maxtor 7200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Viewsonic 19\" CRT
WinXp Pro SP2
<a href=\"\">The Gaming Forums</a>
Closed Thread