Hour 12 of Vista x64 Ultimate Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
Well, as the title suggests, my installation of Vista 64 Ultimate is taking an I Am Sam-level retarded amount of time to install.

Started installing last night around 10PM, now today at at 12:46PM it is at 64% of the 'Expanding Files' phase.

First of all, what the ****? Vista took around twenty minutes to install on my girlfriend's E5200/Gigabyte UD3R, and this computer shreds that one, although I suspect it's not a hardware issue so much as a driver conflict or what-have-you.

My specs:
BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP
Intel Q9400
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner (SATA, naturally)
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Sapphire 4870 512mb
Seagate 640GB HDD

What gives? This is a totally clean install, just put the computer together and popped in the boot DVD. Thanks guys!

Same DVD as your girlfriends?

My thought is the DVD may be dirty / scratched or you may have a bad / dieing DVD drive on your hands. I had the same issue, and it was because my DVD drive is dieing. Takes forever to load stuff off of it, installing applications take forever, and you can here it reading files, just takes forever to read them.

If you can, switch out the DVD drive. See if that fixes it.

Is it actually just going really slow or has it stopped at 64% (i.e. is it at 65% now?).

Also how clean is the disc, and are you sure the HDD and ODD are fine?

Edit: Lex beat me :p

Brand new optical drive, first time it's ever been used...could be bad out of the box, but seems unlikely (unless optical drives go bad frequently?).

It's not stuck, it's been chugging along at about 20% or so every three hours, give or take. Some times it takes longer for it to progress 1% than others.

It is the exact same disc as my girlfriend's install, only a few weeks old and is taken care of properly (not dirty or anything). I've noticed through my Googling that this is not really terribly uncommon, with some people having upwards of 30 hour(!) installation times. I'd really like to avoid that because, well, that's ****in' retarded.

Really? I think it is a drive problem. I've installed Vista about 15 times on my computers here and none have taken over like an hour. In fact that is one of the 'perks' of Vista (and win 7) is that the installation files are copied straight to RAM so that the installation is like 1/3rd the time it took for XP to install (b/c XP copied the install files straight to the drive).

With that said it could be RAM as well... Obviously you are at the point of no return - unless you want to start over. But try switching out some of the RAM modules and possibly the DVD drive.

Remove 2GB of the RAM. Leave only 1 stick in. Vista before SP1 had a issue with installing with 4GB or more installed in teh PC. Since it seems this DVD does not include SP1 you will have better results removing 2GB of RAM and installing them after you get SP1 installed.

This DVD has SP1 installed hehe.

I'm going to suffer through it and see how the drive's performance is post-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom