Homemade Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Hey everyone, im thinking of making a Web page and i was wondering what is the difference between a standard Windows OS and a Windows Server OS? like i said im looking at hosting my own web site but ive heard about Apache Web Server and i was wondering if i need to have a server OS in order to do this or can i do it with a standard OS. Also is their a Linux server OS? thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

If you simply want to make a web page, you could go to a hosting site and sign up - some are free, some you have to pay. If you want to set up a site at home then here are some things to consider (I'll get to your web server questions, but first a little bit of comparison that you asked for):

You are probably already familiar with a client OS such as Windows XP, Vista, or Win7. Windows Server Oses such as 2003 or 2008 are designed to run many (or only a few) applications at a time. These Windows server operating systems are capable of having several or many computers connecting to it and using its (the server's) resources.

An example is a print server. A Windows OS such as 2003 for example, could be given the "role" of a Print Server. When you install a server OS such as that, you can give it a role, upon which you install the services for it; in this case it would be taking the role of a print server. The same holds true if you were making the server a file server, for another example.

Depending on the server OS version, it can work with more than one onboard CPU. Some will allow 8 processors, and some as many as 32 ! I won't get into all those details...

There is tons of stuff on the internet including on Microsoft's home site. Just Google/Bing/Dogpile/(fill in your favorite search engine here ____ ) it.

Apache is Linux-based and is the most used Server platform in the world, over even Windows servers. So to use Apache you would be using it with Linux although I do believe there are things that will integrate Windows and Apache such as Samba.

And yes, in order to host your own site you would need to set up a computer as a web server, and if you use a Microsoft OS you would probably want to install the Web Server Edition as well as IIS (Internet Information Services, which works along with Web Server seamlessly - well usually haha).

I hope this helps some. ;)

EDIT: WIndows Server 2008 R2 comes with IIS integrated with Windows Server by the way.

Great information! thanks.
so you were saying that i would need to install IIS along with a copy of a windows server os? why is that?
and when you say apache is linux based does that mean that apache is an OS itslef or will it just work on linux based OSes?
and if you can just make me a little list please of all the things i would need to create my own homemade web server, like Hardware and Software.
Oh, and also when i actually do get everything ready, what programing language would i have to use to build my website? is it all going to be just HTML?
Sorry for all the questions, im new to all this server networking stuff and i want to learn as much as i can while i can. Thank you so much.:thumbsup:

Apache is a full-fledged server operating system for Linux machines. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on Apache:

The Apache HTTP Server, commonly referred to as Apache (pronounced /əˈpætʃiː/), is a web server notable for playing a key role in the initial growth of the World Wide Web. In 2009 it became the first web server to surpass the 100 million web site milestone.[2] Apache was the first viable alternative to the Netscape Communications Corporation web server (currently known as Sun Java System Web Server), and has since evolved to rival other Unix-based web servers in terms of functionality and performance. The majority of web servers using Apache run the Linux operating system.

The majority of web servers using Apache run the Linux operating system.To read more about Apache, you can try this link.

V V V

source: Apache HTTP Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the subject of Windows Server Web Edition and IIS, IIS (Internet Information Services) is designed to work with Windows Server Web Edition so that you can host web services on your web server. You can manage web pages, services, etc. using IIS. In other words, you can manipulate the structure of how people access your web server among other things. As I mentioned, Windows Server Web Editon has IIS built-in.

My thought is, until you get familiar with web basics such as HTML and web page design, you may be better off to read tutorials online, get a good book or two on the subject of making web pages, and check out the web hosting idea I referred to in my last post. You know, one of those web hosting sites that will have your pages but you can have your own domain name (sometimes yes, sometimes no).

The down side is you can't control as much that way of behind the scenes stuff, but at least you could have a slate to start with, metaphorically speeking.

HTML is the "language" you would code your web pages with initially, though technically HTML is not a language per se because it is a static text file until you add dynamic elements and/or other languages along with HTML. That would come later with learning languages like PHP.

The advantage of using a web hosting site while you are learning is that you wont have to worry about the management of web pages, I was just trying to give you an idea of what that side of it is about by examples in my first post on the subject above.

But really, you should think about a managed site so all you have to worry about is how you want your page(s) to look like, links, graphics, etc. That will come with time, practice, reading as much as you can on the subject, and plain old experimentation.

I would recommend apache. You can run it on linux or windows and you don't need a server OS to do it. Develop your pages and code locally (use something like xampp and netbeans with php) and upload to your server later.
You don't need anything special for hardware or software. Try and get a nice PSU and an additional HDD though and you will obviously need a NIC.

yeah im not looking at doing anything huge right now but i know it wont be long until i actually start getting pretty deep into all this stuff.
well again i thank you both for your help and ill try and give those things a shot when i get the time to.

Ok, well just remember to learn the basics of HTML, basic web page design, and things of that nature, and all the rest of it will come in time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom