Home Web Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poop Finder

Beta member
I am unsure if this is the proper place to post this or not so....

I am trying to create a single site web server at my house. I want to do this, for reasons such as sharing photos with family, and announcements. I have previously purchased a domain name and linked it with my home IP. I use charter pipeline that has a dynamic IP, altough it is dynamic, and altough they say it changes every hour, it does not. In fact it has been several months since ive seen it change.
I am running a small network (peer to peer) and have a computer that I can use primarily for a web server. All the computers in my network are running Windows XP (no service pack). Can anyone give me suggestions on how to set up the site? or even provide a link that has a decent tutorial?
The only other thing that i can think of is the switch that I use. This may be the reason why I havent gotten this to work before. It is a Linksys 4 port switch, with 802.11b on it.

All suggestions are helpfull

Thanks

for something as simple as that i don't think it would be easier to run the web server yourself because you computer would have to be turned on all the time and you would have to maintain it constantly. and it's not as if you are hosting a massive file server, it will be accessed infrequently.

you already threw away the cheapness factor of running your own wen server when you purchased your own domain. i think if cost savings is what you are trying to acheive than using brinkster.com is better. they offer free webhosting and are fairly relaible with no pop up advertising. and it is very easy to manage. you could than have your domain point to the brinkster account.

since your IP changes all the time you need a DNS service that resolves your IP address. you would than run a IP updater program that logs into the DNS service to update the IP address everytme the it changes. both of which are free

you say you already tried this and it did not work? what software did you try to use to host? it didn't fail because you have a switch or the fact that you are using wireless hardware. it most likely failed because you did not configure your port forwarding, you have a firewall blocking the service, or you did not specify your external IP correctly.

to change the IP, if it is cable internet or something with an external Modem, unplug the modem from the internet then reconnect. I have done this with my computer to change my cable IP adress - solely for the purpose of (temporarily) getting hackers off my back, because by now heaps of people will know the IP

My intent on the web serving is not to save money, but to increase my horizons in the IT world. I set up IIS on the computer that was going to store the site. Then I built a very basic 3-4 page site as the default web site (my knowledge of IIS is small, which could also be a large part of my problem.). After doing all of this I was able to browse my site from inside my network, but not from outside of it. On my switch I did the best I could setting up port forwarding, I set port 80 to be directed to the target pc, but it still did not allow me to access the site externally.
From my experience (and im sure all of yours), the problem is so simple that all I can do is overlook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom