Home Networking Sites Blocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robhfd

Baseband Member
I have been using a home network for some time now, but recently when i try to access some sites on the laptop (which connects wirelessly to the host PC) it will not connect to certain sites.

I have deleted and set up a new network, and have even turned off all the virus scanners and firewalls, reset all the internet options to low security, but still cant access some sites.

I have noticed that if i turn off the wireless switch on the laptop after its obvious the website isn't going to load, it will then display the content that it has downloaded.

e.g. Hotmail.com will display the sign in box on the right but no other information.

I hope i have explained this ok, but please ask if i need to clarify anything.

Thanks in advance.

Try clearing you cookies/downloaded files, and also try using a different web browser. Knowing what works or doesn't work will help pinpoint the problem.

Dan

I tried cleaning out cookies/downloaded files and using Mozilla, but still have the same problems.

heres an example;

if i visit wikipedia.org. pages loads ok but if i then click on the English link it hangs.

Everything is fine on my main PC, it seems as if 50% of sites I try to access on the laptop will hang the other 50% work ok, but there seems no obvious similarities.

Somebody please help, as this is slowly driving me mad.

I think you are probably having some problems with the wireless setup. I have seen this on one of my machines that connects wirelessly. What I had to do was restart the WAP, then restart the machine. Verify your getting a good connection, then do some continuos ping tests. This will give you a clean platform for testing.
open a command window, and run Ping (WAP IP) -t -l 1
see if you get any timeouts. Let that run for about 10 minutes. This will tell you if you are maintaining a good connection.

Also, check to see what your host file is. %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Should be pretty clean. if you have more than #xxxxx and 127.0... post what it says.

Good luck

thanks for the reply, i use skype on the laptop, and when i am connected i have been able to use this for over an hour on one call, and the wireless signal is fine.

i am no expert, but this says to me the wireless connection is working fine.

what do you think?

did you check your hosts file?
Does this problem exist when you are using Skype? have you been able to do both at the same time?

Can you plug into a lan line and go to those sites?

Hi

I'm not sure how to check my host files.

When i use skype its the same, i can still access some sites and not others.

I dont use / have a lan line to try.

Thanks for your help

ok, but the host machien doesn't have this problem right?

The hosts file can be found by opening the run dialog, and pasting this in it...

notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

anything that doesn't contain a # at the start of the line is real data. Post what is listed.

the host machine works fine.

a while ago i used a winmx patch, and i get;

Hostfile written by WinMX Hostfile patcher, and a whole load of ip numbers ending in winmx.com, no others, is this my problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom