Home Edition Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer originally had windows xp home edition put on it, and i still have the certificate of authenticity that has my product key on it.

I never got the windows cd with the computer so i downloaded a copy off the net and installed it, Its Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

When i put in my product key now it says its invalid, is that because it installs sp2 right off the bat?

If so, is there a way to uninstall sp2 and sp1 so its just plain home edition so i can register it?

and if not, is it even possible to get it registered with my old key if i contact microsoft? (for free that is)

what kind of computer do you have?

For prebuilds the tech support will often provide a link for downloading the iso images for creating a disk set where files are spread over more then one disk once you provide the needed customer account and serial number information. That allows restoration of the original preinstall of Windows there.

When a new system is bought without seeing the recovery disks included that is one way to see a system restored to factory condition. On the latest Dells apparently you simply press a key combo to see the primary reformatted and Windows reinstalled to factory without the need for disks. You simply follow the instructions in the user manual for restoration there.

For prebuilds the tech support will often provide a link for downloading the iso images for creating a disk set where files are spread over more then one disk once you provide the needed customer account and serial number information. That allows restoration of the original preinstall of Windows there.

When a new system is bought without seeing the recovery disks included that is one way to see a system restored to factory condition. On the latest Dells apparently you simply press a key combo to see the primary reformatted and Windows reinstalled to factory without the need for disks. You simply follow the instructions in the user manual for restoration there.

what key combo for dell? I never figure their restore function out.

I tell everybody and their mother that computers without the xp cd will have an I386 folder on their hdd that will allow them to reinstall xp with their serial

That was one thing I heard from a Dell owner with one of the newer models out apparently. It saves Dell the cost of providing disks along with the machines they sell. When I see the owner again I can ask on that.

I'm supposed to look over his son's pc since the side cover was off when the kids were throwing clay putty balls and the power went out after one hit the hard drive? I think something shorted if it hit leads inside. That plus restoring another old Dell with a new drive are scheduled. Busy weekend! :p

HP/Compaq has been doing something similar to that for a while now... They just have a recovery partition on the HDD, and you just have to press like F10at POST, and you'll start the recovery process.

HP/Compaq has been doing something similar to that for a while now... They just have a recovery partition on the HDD, and you just have to press like F10at POST, and you'll start the recovery process.

everybody has one (gateway, sony, etc). dell is just hard to figure out.

The initial code is part of the bios programming apparently. Once you press the right key or keys that starts up a predisposed program instructing the reformat and reinstallation of Windows and the prepackages softwares a system comes with.

Someone with a used laptop now wants their own copy of XP installed there to replace the original so they can see a fresh registration. The problem with a laptop is where are the drivers? On some you won't find the normal support pages for updates like you would for a desktop or boards in a custom case.

Alright lets get this worked out. No XP does not have indivuals keys for each OS sent out. OEM Discs CAN be branded with a serial that it uses upon install but that doesnt mean anything as any retail disc will ask you for you serial.

I think the issue is here that the disc he is using is a XP with SP2. Now the old copies of XP (Pre-SP2) discs were different than they are now. A XP install with a disc done iwth a Pre-SP2 disc will not work with a SP2 disc. It will be seen as invalid as described. As this issue isnt touched upon much as Pre-SP2 issues are just about 5 years old now.

So basically you need a XP disc with SP1 to install. Those are very hard to find now a days. I know i have a few sitting around, both OEM and Retail.

The only reason why i know this is because it also doesnt work the other way. Cant use a XP SP1 serial on a XP SP2 disc. Just as you cant use a XP SP1 serial on a XP SP2 disc. Like i said this issue isnt brought up much anymore as SP2 has been out for so long now and SP3 is on the way. Many people dont realize these thigns now cause it has been so long.

Alright lets get this worked out. No XP does not have indivuals keys for each OS sent out. OEM Discs CAN be branded with a serial that it uses upon install but that doesnt mean anything as any retail disc will ask you for you serial.

I think the issue is here that the disc he is using is a XP with SP2. Now the old copies of XP (Pre-SP2) discs were different than they are now. A XP install with a disc done iwth a Pre-SP2 disc will not work with a SP2 disc. It will be seen as invalid as described. As this issue isnt touched upon much as Pre-SP2 issues are just about 5 years old now.

So basically you need a XP disc with SP1 to install. Those are very hard to find now a days. I know i have a few sitting around, both OEM and Retail.

The only reason why i know this is because it also doesnt work the other way. Cant use a XP SP1 serial on a XP SP2 disc. Just as you cant use a XP SP1 serial on a XP SP2 disc. Like i said this issue isnt brought up much anymore as SP2 has been out for so long now and SP3 is on the way. Many people dont realize these thigns now cause it has been so long.

huh?

that's just simply not true. I can't find my old post for the old forum to explain it better and it had all of the different version of xp. I got a million xp discs. I have dell, gateway sony, ibm, lenovo (same thing), oem, retail, media center home and pro pre and post sp2 disc. people had these same issues before sp2. key are tied to specific version of xp. sp2 doesn't have anything to do with it although they did add some new serials to oem sp2. they are backward incompatible. the new serial won't work with oem sp1 install, but these new disc still recognizes the older keys

I use these xp discs to give everybody their legal version back

BTW I slipsteam all of my old discs to update them.

an example. you will never get any other version of xp to recognize a ibm serial. you need an ibm specific disc or their I386 folder on the xp drive.

again oem will recognize most different brand of serial but not all

ChemicalMonkey just simply downloaded the wrong disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom