Hijack This 2.0 beta - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Hijack This 2.0 beta

HiJack This is a very sophisticated security analyzer that generates an advanced report of various registry settings and files in your computer. The difference to many other security analyzers such as Trojan scanners is that Hijack This makes not difference between “good” and “bad” settings but displays everything that it founds in its security log. It is then up to the user to find potentially harmful files and settings and remove them from his computer.

It is no security software for beginners but excellent for advanced users and users who know someone who is able to draw the right conclusions from the security logs that have been generated. Another way to receive fast results would be to use the online script Hijack This logfile analysis. You can paste the logfile into the form field or upload the log from your computer and the script analyzes the logfile of Hijack This automatically.

It uses user input to determine whether something is a potential threat or not. This works most of the time but leads sometimes to unjustified ratings. I installed AV Antivir in a custom directory and the analyzer used this to indicate a possible problem. I think the best way to cope with this situation would be to briefly analyze the elements that could be malicious and decided if that is really the case. To use the above example: I knew that I did install it in that directory and therefor decided that the warning was not justified in this case.

If you are insecure about a certain setting ask in the well frequented support forum or search the internet for clues on the subject. Hijack This has a similar analyze this button build in which takes you to the website of the developer of Hijack This. They display information about everything that was found on your computer and how frequent it was found in other computers.

This could be an indicator for safeness but I would suggest that you perform additional searches to be on the safe side. You can download the newest version of Hijack This from TrendSecure by following the link in the first paragraph.

TrendSecure | Trend Micro Hijack This™
Closed Thread