HIGH pagefule usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
I'm not 100% sure what pagefile means but I think it has something to do with virtual memory, right? Well so anyways my comp boots up at 170mb pf usage and right now its at 310

I booted up
-opened 1 msn convo
-opened 1 ie window

and thats it. and after about half an hour of just chatting and IE , it makes it's way to the gb's like 1.5gb around there... I don't know what's going on... could it be a virus on my BRAND new rig?:(

Also im getting random errors from programs like msn and wmp looking for dll's and stuff... but ill worry about that later.

you are corerct, the page file is used for virtual memory. You need to look at how you have it confgured. There are alot of opinions in how you should use it, so take what we say with an open mind...

Right click "My Computer", select properties, then click on the advanced tab. Under the "performance" section, select settings, the click the "Advanced" tab on the new window. Look at the bottom and select "Change" from the Virtual Memory area. Post a screen shot of that is you can. If you can't just type out what it says. Then post your system specs. Need Memeory more than anything else.
Also, you will want to run a checkdisk on your system and see if you have any disk errors. Open My computer, right click "C Drive" and select properties. Select "Tools" and then click "Check now" under the error checking sections. Click both check boxes and click start. Then click yes at the prompt. Reboot when you can and let the machine doing it thing. When it's done, you will have an event message in the even log for the Winlogon process. You can look at this to see how your drive it doing...

Good luck

vm5ac.jpg

Spec's
AMD 3200
512 mb ram Ultra 3200 400mhz
80 gb hitachi sata
256mb nVidia 6200 agp 8x ( no pci-e :( )

i think those are the most important...
btw i just realized i spelt page file wrong... page fule.... pft lol ill do the check disk stuff later, i have to go to sleep now and go to the airport in the morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom