HELP!!! XP Stop Error, inaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

strings_ibanez

Beta member
Hello,
I recently installed WinXP SP2 on my laptop computer. About 1 or 2 days later my computer began to hang (the video would freeze, and keyboard inputs would do nothing, however the most pointer would still move).
At one of these instances I rebooted and was presented with a blank black screen after the Windows Xp Home loading screen at startup.
(Note: Safemode, VGA, w/ networking, with prompt <-- NONE would work).

Finally I attempted to perform a repair install... which either hung during install or if completed, would reboot to a Stop: 0x0000007B error.
I tried FixBoot, and other recovery console things.. MDG computers says my HDD is fine, and my RAM is not bad.

Finally i managed a seperate install of WinXP in another folder... it starts fine.. but i want to know if there is a way to fix the old install (the problem is obviously not hardware)

FORMATTING IS NOT AN OPTION (and i think that formatting is just making the problem worse).

I want to the old installation by accessing it from the new installation if possible... PLEASE HELP.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.
-Steve

Re:

Hello,

So to be clear, you've made a second partition and installed Windows XP OS in that partition?

I would try and uninstall Service Pack 2 from your first Windows XP Partition and see if you can boot into it. Instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350 ...

...because you can't boot into Windows XP on your first partition, you'll need to uninstall it in the recovery console, accessible if you boot into your Windows XP Setup Disc.

Method 1: Reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP
To reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
2. Insert the Windows XP CD in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
3. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP page, click Install Windows XP.
4. On the Welcome to Windows Setup page, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type box (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
5. On the License Agreement page, click I accept this agreement, and then click Next.
6. On the Your Product Key page, type the 25-character product key in the Product key boxes, and then click Next.
7. On the Get Updated Setup Files page, select the option that you want, and then click Next.
8. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom