Help with windowws login

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer_man

Solid State Member
I don't know if something is set wrong in my system or what? It used to be when I turned my computer on it would go directly to the login screen. Now when I turn it on a black screen comes up and says.

Please select the system to start

Microsoft windows XP
Microsoft windows XP Setup

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice. Press enter to choose

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for windows, press F8

I have to hit my up arrow key once to select Microsoft windows XP and hit enter and then windows starts up and goes to the login screen.

I would like to get everything reset back the way it originally was so when I turn my computer on windows will automatically start and go to the login screen but i dont know how.

Does anyone know how to reset this?

You have to edit the boot.ini.
START>CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM/[ADVANCE TAB]/"STARTUP AND RECOVERY" - SETTINGS. PRESS EDIT.

The boot.ini should open in notepad and should look soemthing like this but with the "Microsoft windows XP Setup" as well.

==============================================
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
==============================================

STOP HERE AND WAIT FOR MORE REPLIES: I have forgotten exactly how to edit it exactly and will need someone else to step in here. I wouldnt recommend editing unless you know exactly how to do it.

WARNING! - AGAIN WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO REPLY FOR FURTHER HELP.

go to start > run, then type msconfig, select the boot.ini tab, click "check all boot paths" this will remove the windows setup option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom