Help! Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdole001

Beta member
A series of unfortunate events (trying to download from Microsoft)caused serious performance issues with XP Home.

I ended up trying to reinstall Windows XP Home.

I booted from the XP disc and it gave me the option to repair. I chose this, but it seemed nothing happened. I then restarted and chose the setup option. It gave me the option of deleted a partition highlighted, but I did not. It went ahead with the install, but when window launched I initially panicked, because I did not see my old files. However, when I went into the hard drive, all the files and programs were there (My documents, Program Files folder), they just don't show up in the start menu, etc.
Can I save these files?

Also, when I restart, it gives me the option of starting one of two different OS. I chose the second and it started going through the install again. Could this be the original repair I tried to do and if so may I go ahead and continue it and then get rid of the other installation?

I have not had to do this before, and I am frustrated and feeling rather inept.

go to start, run, type msconfing, go to boot.ini tab, click on check all boot paths, click yes to remove the invalid one, reboot. Then we will work on the next issue

Excuse my ignorance, but should I remove the one that takes me to windows or the one that starts through what I think is the repair install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom