[Help] Windows Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ind3sisziv

Baseband Member
I am running windows 7, or what i think is windows 7 and I want to maximize performance while not distrubing the pretty interface. I would like to do this on a desktop and a laptop both are on wireless & wired. I do not have any antivirus and im about to get some Maintenance programs to keep it clean.

anyhow here is a CSV of my services if you would like to see them
Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Any suggestions would be appriceated

Well first verify that it is Windows 7. Start>Run>winver

That will tell you. If you are you are already highly optimized. The only services that should be disabled should be the Windows Media Player Network service. Other than that they should ALL be left as they are.

Windows 7 is highly optimized to run on even netbooks so there is no need to mess with the services AT ALL.

really? not even the indexing service??

Thats pretty amazing maybe windows has learned a little from vista

Indexing serves a purpose. It is used for the searches on the start menu and within the Explorer windows. If you turn indexing off it will take longer to search. So it should be left on. Unless you dont mind your searches taking more time by not having the files indexed.

Even in Vista it should not have been turned off. It defeats the purpose of having the search feature. At that point you might as well go look for the files yourself since that is what you are asking Windows to do.

Yes they did learn from Vista. Win7 is to most people the look of Vista with the resource usage of XP.

I actually disagree; I went through 7 and rooted out several services I felt unnecessary. Only the usual; indexed search, firewall, defender, wmp network, themes, secondary log in, cardspace, defrag. I think that's my list... although that does very much interfere with the interface (I run the 95 theme).

I run a manual defrag often with my own defragging software, I don't need or want an indexed search, and if you wanted to, you could disable windows update, enabling it when you feel like checking for updates.

Each person is going to have their own view cause each person uses their PC differently.

You dont need themes cause you dont run Aero. that might not be the case for everyone. So they will need it. Indexing service can be useful to those that use the search. It speeds up the results. As i already noted.

The firewall is also a toss up. I dont use any other firewall. I use my router and the Windows firewall.

Defender is something that most people should leave on. It helps prevent spyware.

So while you may disable those services that is not the case for everyone. I am speaking in more general terms for the common users. Those that are not power users and dont highly customize their Windows. In that aspect what i said is appropriate.

Of course it wont go for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom