help windows me system files cause boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

godfrey

Beta member
PLease can anyone help - my desktop starts boot process and then goes to windows startup menu with 4 options ( normal, Logged (\bootlog.txt), safe mode and step by step confirmation. - selecting normal nothing happens, safe mode identifies missing or corrupted sytem files - c:\windows\dblbuff.sys and ifshlp.sys and \ windows\system\vm32.vxd. Once this has happened the C> (drive indicator?) hangs with a flashing undersore cursor... no matter what I do including using recovery CD nothing esle happens ( the CD is supposed to strt up automatically but doesn't) ANY IDEAS PLEASE - DESPERATE!!!!! Thanks. Godfrey

How to setup boot to cdrom for recovery cd

you need to set your bios to try to boot to the cd drive before the hard drive. When you first turn on your machine, you should see something that says press X for setup; x could be delete or F2 or whatever key. Then look in CMOS setup for boot order and set cd higher than Hard drive. Save your changes and reboot with the cd in. You'll have to press any key to boot to the cd when it says so.

Then, after you get your system back up, go out and spend $ on XP upgrade so that ME will go away and, hopefully, reside in OS hell where it belongs. You will be much happier once XP is installed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom