help wiht comammand prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will have to use these instructions!!!

****Flashing the BIOS for Users using NON FAT file system

Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH Protection & "DISABLED" it, some boards have this function.
For Example:
K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) -BIOS setup/chipset setup/BIOS protection/disabled

Know Your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like "A6380MS v1.7 122101" This means the board is MS-6380 with BIOS version 1.7
Hint : Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press "PAUSE" or disable the "Quick Boot" in the BIOS setup.

Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here

Extract the file you have downloaded to a floppy (not the win ME/98 startup floppy) by double clicking the file in windows mode and supplying the path a:\

Boot the computer using a windows ME or windows 98 startup disk. It must be one of these! A plain boot disk will not be good enough.
If you do not have Windows ME or 98 to create the floppy you can make one on a friend's computer or download a self creating copy from a website such as www.bootdisk.com.

Once the computer has started booting from the disk an option menue will apeare on the screen with several options.
Please select the option to boot with CDROM support and press the enter key.

When boot is done there will be a message on the screen showing :"Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive" followed by a single letter.
This letter is the leter assigned to the RAMDRIVE. This RAMDRIVE is a virtual drive in the system memory and can be accessed and controlled like any other drive with DOS commands such as:
MD - Make Directory
Copy - copy a file
Delete - Delete a file
There is one important difference which is that being in the system memory this drive is wiped once the computer is restarted or shut down.

Replace the startup floppy with the one containing the flash utility and bios ROM files previously extracted in windows.

Copy the 2 files to the RAMDRIVE by using the DOS command copy.
Here is an example, in this example the flash utility is AWFL814B.EXE ,the ROM file is w6373nms.220 and the RAMDRIVE letter assignment is D
copy awfl814b.exe d:\
copy w6337nms.220 d:\

Change the current working directory to the RAMDRIVE root directory, with the example case of the RAMDRIVE being drive D this is simply done with the command d:

Execute the flash utility with the ROM file as a command line argument, with this example:
awfl814b w6373nms.220
If you wish to save the current bios you must specify the full path a:\filename. Specifying only a file name will save the bios to the RAMDRIVE which will be wiped after restarting the computer and the file will not be saved.
a:\bios.old is an example of the correct way to save the bios.

Reboot your system when prompted.

If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described.

Special Thanks to Forum Moderator Bas for his valuable contribution

mm i might leave it till tomorrow as i dont understand all of these instructions

cant figure out hwo to make a windows 98 boot disk on that website

ok, well i now know how to use DOS so thats one positive thing,
i gto to the part where i actually run the flasher utility and when it ran it said the flash part isnt supported add-in a propper module or assign another one,same said about my chip set i didnt look around much as i wanted your opinion first

^^^ UPDATE i also tried one of the other BIOOS on that list for my ?MOBO and same thing...bummer

I think this error is a result of the BIOS protection being enabled. Do you see a setting in the BIOS that allows you enable updating?

no i looked in every part of my BIOS for protection on flashing and nothing :mad: really frustrating

P.S how would i check fro jumpers

thanks for all the help so far hopefully ill get there soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom