Help- very desperate - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Angry Help- very desperate

My sister deleted some important files from "programe files". I managed to recover some from the norton protected recycle bin but there are still a number of errors on the computer. How do i set my computer back to the day before the files were deleted. Some of the errors has caused my computer to crash everytime i put a cd into the cd or dvd drive.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

If you have a computer from HP or Gateway, etc. It may have recovery disks, or if you have Windows XP then it may have a feature built in. Just browse through the start menu, or look for recovery cd's. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

Could be alot of different things, What are the errors? Have ya tried to Re-install the Optical drives? What OS is it? Have ya checked in Device Manager for any Problems?
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 04-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

If you are running Windows XP, you can probably use the built-in windows system restore point.

-Shroud, CCNA, MCP

Old 04-13-2004, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

im running windows 98 can i reset the computer to the day before things went wrong
Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Windows 98 is just about the worste OS out there atm.

If I were in that situation I would send all my important files to a friend and reinstall. Although reinstalling is my solution to everything It just takes less time that finding a solution.
ThermalTake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition Air Cooling
1024MB Corsair TwinX XMS 3200 (Dual Channel 2x512) 2-3-2-6
256Mb XFX 7800 GS EXTREME
2x WD Raptors (10krpm 8MB Cache) 36.7GB using RAID -0
Video Logic SonicXplosion 5.1 Soundcard
[/size]
Old 04-14-2004, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

You can do a system restore in 98. Boot and hit F8 and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. When you get your DOS prompt type "scanreg /restore". When you hit enter, you'll be prompted with a few dates to restore back to. This DOES NOT restore your files. Once you have restored the registry, you'll have to boot normally and then go into System Information under the System Tools. Then choose "System File Restore" or something along those lines and run a scan. The scan will pick up files that the OS needs that are not in place. You'll be prompted for a file restore source. This is where you'll have to place the 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive and choose the cd-rom drive as the source for the files.

-Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

so audio cd's dont work AT ALL, data cd's (if trying to autorun) either dont pull up at all or crash the system. If it doesn't pull up at all you can goto windows explorer and browse them. Can you run these same cd's from windows explorer, or will it crash. Basically when you CAN get to the cd is it to browse ONLY or can you actually run the software. Also, instead of windows explorer, what happens if it doesn't run, and you goto my computer and try to acess the cd there. Either by browsing or dbl clicking the cd drive to initiate it. Trying to decide exactly what is causing the crash. Also, do you get a BSOD, any errors at all??? If you do goto details and see if you get an invalid page fault, or anything to help. If no error, cntrl alt del to see if you can see what is not responding. Thanks!

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

Like Mike says, I use to use the Old "scanreg/restore option all the time in Win 98. Ya get to pick from 5 different Dates. Give it a shot & let us know Dude. Good Luck!!
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 04-14-2004, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

hopefully it'll work If it doesn't, and has more to do with audio than anything else, maybe codecs or maybe the cdrom was forced to dos compatability mode. Guess she'll just have to cross her fingers.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread