Help- very desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3bz26

Solid State Member
My sister deleted some important files from "programe files". I managed to recover some from the norton protected recycle bin but there are still a number of errors on the computer. How do i set my computer back to the day before the files were deleted. Some of the errors has caused my computer to crash everytime i put a cd into the cd or dvd drive.

If you have a computer from HP or Gateway, etc. It may have recovery disks, or if you have Windows XP then it may have a feature built in. Just browse through the start menu, or look for recovery cd's. Hope this helps.

Could be alot of different things, What are the errors? Have ya tried to Re-install the Optical drives? What OS is it? Have ya checked in Device Manager for any Problems?

If you are running Windows XP, you can probably use the built-in windows system restore point.

im running windows 98 can i reset the computer to the day before things went wrong

Windows 98 is just about the worste OS out there atm.

If I were in that situation I would send all my important files to a friend and reinstall. Although reinstalling is my solution to everything :D It just takes less time that finding a solution.

You can do a system restore in 98. Boot and hit F8 and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. When you get your DOS prompt type "scanreg /restore". When you hit enter, you'll be prompted with a few dates to restore back to. This DOES NOT restore your files. Once you have restored the registry, you'll have to boot normally and then go into System Information under the System Tools. Then choose "System File Restore" or something along those lines and run a scan. The scan will pick up files that the OS needs that are not in place. You'll be prompted for a file restore source. This is where you'll have to place the 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive and choose the cd-rom drive as the source for the files.

-Mike

so audio cd's dont work AT ALL, data cd's (if trying to autorun) either dont pull up at all or crash the system. If it doesn't pull up at all you can goto windows explorer and browse them. Can you run these same cd's from windows explorer, or will it crash. Basically when you CAN get to the cd is it to browse ONLY or can you actually run the software. Also, instead of windows explorer, what happens if it doesn't run, and you goto my computer and try to acess the cd there. Either by browsing or dbl clicking the cd drive to initiate it. Trying to decide exactly what is causing the crash. Also, do you get a BSOD, any errors at all??? If you do goto details and see if you get an invalid page fault, or anything to help. If no error, cntrl alt del to see if you can see what is not responding. Thanks!

Like Mike says, I use to use the Old "scanreg/restore option all the time in Win 98. Ya get to pick from 5 different Dates. Give it a shot & let us know Dude. Good Luck!!

hopefully it'll work ;) If it doesn't, and has more to do with audio than anything else, maybe codecs or maybe the cdrom was forced to dos compatability mode. Guess she'll just have to cross her fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom