HELP! SP1 has ruined windows XP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KazD

Solid State Member
ok where do i start?...

im a bit of a newbie so bear with me!

i plugged in a USB 2.0 pci card to my computer, went to the manufacturers website to grab the drivers that i needed.

tried to install them and was instructed to install windows SP1 first. Now i ran into troubles with SP2 on my old mans laptop a while back, and swore that i would never use any more of these service packs. but i reaaallllyyyy needed these USB ports, so i was half way through installing and the comp crashes

so i restart, and then all of a sudden the Win XP pro screen comes up, and then the comp restarts AGAIN!! and it continues doing this till i switch the comp off.

so my questions is................ Has SP1 ruined my chances of XP booting up?? therefore will i have to reinstall windows?? its not a big deal as there isnt anything worth keeping on the HD, but it is a bit of a pain in the back end.

theres not much i can tell you about the computer apart from its running WinXP Pro and its verging on the line of being ancient! (well not quite!) hehe

im just so annoyed because all ive wanted to do right from the beginning is install my external HD (al save that for another post though!) and all these roundabout steps ive had to take have just ended up being a waste of time! aarrgghhh someone pleeaassee help me:( :(

emmmm........it was plugged into the mobo, and then i ran SP1 setup. i naively assumed the setup would take a couple of minutes:eek: so thought i could quickly install SP1 and then download the drivers for the usb card straightaway...how wrong was i!!

it wouldnt have done any physical damage would it? al take the card out and try running it again...

U dont need sp1 for usb 2 ..i have Windows XP Pro No SP's on my other pc and its got usb 2 n it works find

maybe i was installing drivers that i didnt need?? lol

its still restarting before windows loads up. am such a woman!:confused:

looks like al just have to re install windows and see what happens! thanks anyways guys! al post once its done if i have anymore problems:(

Here is a way to solve your problems.
Go to : Autostreamer
Download that

Now go here and download XP SP2

XP SP2

Send XP SP2 to your desktop

When finished downloading, run Autostreamer
Insert your XP disk

Then point AutoStreamer to the service pack

Then let autostreamer make you an ISO of XP with SP2 slipstreamed into it. Once it is finished, burn the ISO to a cd-r and your problems will be gone. There is no reason anyone shouldnt have SP2 on their pc unless they have some incompatiable software or hardware, even if you have dialup, you should still have it, just let it run overnight. Harddrives are just to big and cheap these days to worry and complain about the size of SP2 or any program for that. If you need step by step instructions for AS let me know.

i shall have a go at doing that once XP is reinstalled! hope it works! thanks for all your help! :D

for safe measures take out the usb device you are having problems with and once windows is installed hook it back up. AS is very easy, you shouldnt have any trouble. It will takr about 15 minutes or so

Check out my post: Unrecognized USB Device! I posted earlier today in "Windows Operating Systems". SP2 has issues with some USB devices but I have included the fix as well. You might want to do a Windows repair (run xp setuo and do a repair when prompted) so that yo are starting off clean before you install SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom