Help: Retrieving Hard Drive History

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiicho2006

Beta member
My problem is a simple one. I want to know the NAMES of pretty much every single file that has ever been on my hard drive, but there have been thousands of deletions and several system recovers, plus one accidental formatting. I don't want to recover the files (that would be nice, but its not necessary), I just want to know file names. Is there any program that can show me a history of files that had ever been present on the computer, deleted and otherwise? (report.doc, song.mp3, etc) Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've tried all number of un-delete programs, recovery programs, "WinSpy", blah blah blah. Nothing helps, I never find what I'm looking for.

Sorry to inform you but what you want is impossible. It cant be done on any level for a simple reason. When a file is deleted that area on the hard drive is marked to be used again for another file or installation. When that other file or installation is done and that space is used again, there is no way to ever recover that previous file. If a program like a shredder or eraser program is used where it not only deletes the file, but over writes that area a number of times with zeros, there is no way to ever recover that data at all.

So the only thing you will be able to get is the information that you have gotten with the un-delete programs. As that is the only information that is able to be recovered cause that area on the hard drive has not been over written with new data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom