Help! Remount HD problem in XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help! Remount HD problem in XP

I bought a new hard drive, copied all my files from my primary hd onto it, formatted the primary, installed XP to the primary- then went to my primary slave (the new WD 250 gig HD) to retrieve my important, backed up files and xp tells me that it isn't formated- i can't retreive ANY of the files! i called western digital today and stayed on the line for hours, until finally they told me that when formatting slave drives, i must dismount the drive before i reformat my primary. they told me that since i didn't do that, i would have to contact microsoft in order to try and find some software that will "remount" this new hard drive without corrupting the data files. i tried calling microsoft today, but after sitting on the line for ages i gave up...does anyone know how i can "remount " this drive?! is there a utility that can do this without deleting my important files?!!?!? some one please help, i haven't been in a computer situation this bad in years! thank you,

Old 02-16-2004, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Partion magic should be able to but I havent been faced with this before.I know it can do a lot with a drive and not harm data. Like extend a160 gig drive that is reading 120 gig by XP.Or partioning a drive that all rdy has partion's.

That dosent seem right . Cause ive had 2 differnt drives with operating system's running C and D.Could look into ether drive.I didnt have them on Master and slave jumper's but Cable select and just had the main drive hooked into IDE 1 and the Burner and other drive in IDE 2.Maybe its a NFTS thing.Luck maybe someone fixxed this before will jump in.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I disagree .. i don't think Partion Magic is the right tool to use here ...

Anywayz .. do this ..

Right Click on My Computer>Click Manage

Now in the new window which pops up .. Disk Management
Now Right Click on ur New drive n' select Import Foriegn Disks

That's it .. it will let u choose a drive letter etc .. n' ur disk is useable
Screenshots of my Desktop.....Post ur\'s too :D

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 02-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

preet2u- I tried that but "Import Foreign Disks" isn't an option...

deadguy- I tried partition magic, it sees this disk as "bad"...

i'm thinking i might have to purchase some type of data restore program like Restoration...but its outrageous!

thanks for tryin though- anybody else got ideas!?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default anybody?!

how can this be such a rare problem!

i'm about to switch to linux.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

SOMEONE HELP! A local place wants to charge me 300 dollars to get this information back! ridiculous!

Closed Thread