help reinstalling xp home without admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapeape

Baseband Member
I have totally forgotten password and I am admin. I need help reinstalling xp home without administrator password. I can not reinstall it from windows. Is there anyway to install it from boot up. Thanks.

Mike

well could you provide information whether you have any other account with administrative privileges ..
you can try to boot the system in safe mode and then logon as administrator .it won't ask you the password. try and if it asks then give info.

Ive never needed an admins password when installing XP.
Then again Ive never installed XP over XP (I dont recommend it)

As far as I know you just boot off the CD...

Reset cmos. Make a full clean install of xp. Unles you have very important data on the computer you need to back up first

trying to do clean install

This is my sisters computer her and husband have it all messed up. How do i reset cmos and clean install .\

Thanks

To answer your question, you can reinstall from the CD by booting from it and choosing the option to Re-format/Re-install. You won't have to reset CMOS, just make sure that you can boot from your CD before your hard drive.

-Mike

First, make sure that they don't have any data that they want to keep. If you format and install over the current installation, you will lose EVERYTHING you had on the partition that XP is currently installed on.
When you are ready to do this, first place the CD in the drive and reboot. If the CD is bootable and the boot order is set to boot from CD-ROM before the Hard Drive then you should be drawn into the beginning of the install process.
Agree to the end-user license agreement and go through the prompts. You should eventually be asked to choose an install location. You will have to follow the prompts to re-format and install over the previous installation. This is fine because the operation reformats the drive prior to installing a new copy of XP.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom