HELP NO SOUND!!! AAAH!!!! (lol :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
HELP NO SOUND!!! AAAH!!!! (im not joking!)

ok, so just recently, with no changes to hardware or software, the sound stopped working.

i tried windows help and support thing, but to no avail.

the only clue i have, is this.

when i try to open volume control, as help told me to do (thank you dancing paperclips!) it gave me this error:

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close.

and thats it. also, here is another error i get when trying to play system sounds through the control panel:

Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Error.wav. Your sound card may be in use.

i have tried restarting my computer, and i checked that all the drivers and the card are all enabled, and supposedly in use.

im extremely confused, because i didnt change anything on the computer between it working and it not working.

please help!! as i NEED sound for my music!!

-Phate

P.S. im running Windows XP SP2, if that helps at all. system specs are:

Dell Dimension 4600:
2.4 ghz intel P4 processor (northwood)
Fortron 400W PSU
2gb Patriot Signature 184-pin DDR SDRAM (PC3200)
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 64mb AGP 4x/8x graphics card
two optical drives
one hard drive
92mm fan.

P.P.S. please help, im very confused.

no, no errors, it says the sound card is working fine...

this is ****ing me off to no end... i get to watch the swirly screen of windows media player but hear nothing... :(

-Phate

built-in? i actually think NOT. it said something about PCI 3, so i think its in the third slot of my 4 PCIs, though i wouldnt know, i cant tell the difference between those cards.

-Phate

problem solved.

i did what another thread said, turned off auto-updates, went to the site, updated, restarted, and now it works.

inexplicable...

-Phate

Does it say PCI "Slot" 3? Because if it does that would mean it's on a PCI slot. Buildin or not it would still say PCI since those card are using the PCI bus.

If you could find out I would suggest plugging the soundcard into another PCI slot. If it's buildin uninstall the driver, reboot then install the driver and reboot again.

ok, now i have a different problem.

sound works in WMVs, but not in MPGs or AVIs... its very weird.

nothing changed, again. windows media player audio works fine.

any ideas?

-Phate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom