Help, my Windows is completely screwed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobWithMoobs

Solid State Member
Ok, so I have Windows XP SP3 (32 bit). Although, I suppose the more precise term is I had Windows XP.

Basically, I needed to resize a partition, it was the partition that contained my Windows XP and some programs on. (C:\). I had 2 partitions, C:\ and D:\. D contained my Docs, data and some of my programs. But after completing it, my Windows was completely corrupted. The DOS screen at the beggining would say "Error loading operating system". I tried rebooting several times. But it was dead. So, I used my computer's master disc, which restores my computer to its factory settings.

I did this and all went fine. I had Windows XP up and running again. Now all I had to do is re-install Norton Ghost (my backup/ recovery software) and then run the backup discs I had created a couple of days before. So I installed Ghost without a problem. And started the backup process for D:\ (to get all of my documents back. However, at 96% of the way through the recovery (which had taken 9 hours now) the worst thing that could ever, ever, ever, ever happen. A ****ing powercut.

It was 3AM, so I decided to go to sleep and hope the power cut hadn't affected much. However it had. Now on the DOS bootup screen it says "Load error".

It had somehow corrupted everything. But, I had an idea, I could start from scratch again, and use my master disc and re-restore my PC to it's factory settings. Then start the Norton Ghost recovery again and hope that I wouldn't get a power cut this time.

However, even after 3 uses of the master disc, I still got the error "Load error". Windows XP simply refuses to boot.

But, I later realised that I could use the Norton Ghost install disc on bootup and use the "Symantec Reovery Environment". Which allows me to recover my stuff from my handy backup discs without the need for Windows.

But, for some reason my partitions had been screwed up. Before they were like this:

BEFORE PARTITION RESIZE
C: 23GB NTFS
D: 44GB NTFS
F: 8GB NTFS

AFTER THE PARTITION RESIZE (which killed my OS)
C: 31GB NTFS
D: 44GB NTFS
F: (now deleted to give extra room for C:\)

AFTER THE WHOLE FAILING
C: 44GB NTFS
D: (split into two 8GB drives) FAT32
Z: 8GB (MS RAM something it's called) FAT32

So the file systems have been changed. And the sizes have been too. But I need more space on D:. So basically I now do not have enough space for restoring my D: backup discs back onto the D: drive.

But nevertheless, I used Norton Ghost in bootup mode to restore C:. (But not D:\) And I still get the same boot error "Load error".

SO WHAT THE **** CAN I DO?! I really need help. I need to get all of my stuff back. I have over 3 years worth of files on there. This whole system failure has effectively destroyed 3 years of my life.

Can you give me reccommendations on how to get the whole thing fixed. If you have any questions just ask. Please, I need the help.

(Laso I've had an idea; what If I boot up with GParted and then chnage the partitions before doing the Ghost recoverys, so that they will then be the correct size.)

Thanks for taking your time to read this essay of a post! Please help! :sad:

Well your best bet right now will be to run GParted to get the partition setup the way you want and get it formatted to NTFS. After that you will have to try and see if Ghost can do anything. If not then i would say that the power failure caused a sector to go bad on the hard drive which is causing you problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom