HELP! My sound suddenly stopped working..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ketchupchips

Beta member
Hi there,

I don't know what the hell I did wrong... but I was playing a song on Windows Media Player, then I paused it and went to do something else... I come back, press play, and no sound comes. I can't play CDs, mp3s, anything on websites, any of the Windows sounds, etc. Nothing plays.

I tried unplugging the speakers and plugging them in again... (I had the same issue with my mouse about a week ago, it just didn't work, and this solved the problem). However, that didn't do a thing. Then I tried restarting, that didn't do anything either, since I didn't hear my start-up music. I'm soundless The green light on the speakers is on. I just can't hear anything. It's really odd. I've paused and played songs millions of times, and it just didn't play this time...

Did I press some keys that disabled the sound or what? I don't know if this is a hardware problem or something on the computer settings. But likely not hardware since the light is on... ah i don't know

Or maybe it is a hardware problem.. I went to my device manager, and looked under all my sound stuff. Everything is enabled. Hmm.. I have no idea what else to do. No one else uses this computer.

And on the little taskbar by the clock.. the sound thingy isn't muted or anything. I've kind of poked around my sound settings in my control panel, and nothing seems wrong. My volume control panel is all normal.

When I play a song it appears to play, (shows the spinning graphic, i have ambience: randomization.. you know what i mean) but no sound.

If you need some computer info.. this comp. was purchased in March/02.. WinXp Home.. don't ask me about the sounds cards or whatever, I don't know about that... the sound has worked flawlessly up until now. Same with the rest of the computer. It's never frozen or anything. And I'm not noticing any other problems either.

Help! This is terribly upsetting.

Regards,
Maxwell

PS: Sorry so long of a post!

Hi!

Thank you for the reply. The problem fixed itself... I unplugged my speakers, and hooked up another pair from a different computer (to rule out a hardware problem). The ones from the other computer did work, so I asumed it was my speakers that were dead, not something I did on the computer. Anyway, I plugged in my old ones again, and they are working just fine now! The mysteries of life.. :eek:

Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom