HELP! My music's gone! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HELP! My music's gone!

I will become the personal slave of whoever solves this problem for me. So, here's what happenned. I have a Dell 8100 that had major problems so i reformated, first saving all my files and music to back up discs. I reinstalled windows me, installed the programs and drivers, and then upgraded to XP. I tried to load my music back on but now the files are read only. I put a burned disc into another computer with XP and the music files are still there, so mine can not read them now. does anyone know how i can get my computer to properly read the cd's again. please help. ive got about 3000 songs that will be useless. thanks

Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

Have you tried all options like "move to" or "send to" and "copy to"? Are the files data files, or are they audio files (like did you burn a audio cd that's playable in a cd player)? Answer these questions and I'm sure more help will come.

Peace,
Matthew

Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
ADZ
Master Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to ADZ

If the other computer you can copy the music to is on your network, send it over the LAN to yours.

If I misunderstood your question, I appologize.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

download you a udf reader. XP automatically has it. the other operating systems don't
Old 10-07-2004, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

try downloading a software from www.download.com not sure which one but it converts the files to your music files and your music wont be a waste By the way Im a Tech From Dell . 8100 when did u by this one ?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: HELP! My music's gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by aemenleny
I tried to load my music back on but now the files are read only. I put a burned disc into another computer with XP and the music files are still there, so mine can not read them now.
Hmmm, I'm surprised nobody suggested you try the following (making certain you have full administrative privileges):
  • Right-mouse click on the folder containing the "read only" files.
  • Select the "Properties" option.
  • Uncheck the "Read Only" attribute.
  • You should get a dialog box offering you the opportunity to change either the folder only, or the folder, subfolder, and files. You should select the "folder, subfolder, and files" choice.
If the files are on your hard drive and you have the proper media player installed, that simple fix should solve your problem.

Closed Thread