HELP! Message: NTLDR is missing, now syst. will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again everyone!

Well, everything was working fine until I moved MY DOCUMENTS TO the other side of the partition [opposite the XP PRO OS]. I also attempted to hook up an extra Maxtor SATA 500 GB.

Now I cannot get my computer to work. The only message I see is this:

NTLDR is missing

Please, can someone help me? I just spent 8 hours doing all the downloads and set up and now my system will not even boot!

I unhooked the new SATA II HD and now am back to the original HD. Can someone tell me what the NTLDR is missing message is all about and if I can repair my system?

Sad Freddy

that means it can't find the Operating System, what you have to do is make sure that the Hard Drive that has the Operating System should be on Master over slave

1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
  2. When you reach the command prompt type the following two commands, pressing Enter after each one:
    copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    In the command listed above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\ represents the root folder of the partition that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.
  3. If you're prompted to overwrite either of the two files, press Y.
  4. Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.
    Assuming that missing or corrupt versions of the NTLDR and/or Ntdetect.com files were your only issues, Windows XP should now start normally.

Re: HELP!

OS/Mak,

I totally messed up my first install. Somehow now I have two XP windows OS's on the partitioned part of my hard drive. Can you tell me how to wipe my hard drive clean and start over again please? [AFter 10+ hours of downloading and updating this has been so frustrating. I will NEVER partition my hard drive and place my documents in the second partition. This has caused me so much trouble.

I simply would like to start all over again and put on Windows that simply way I have always done in the past. It always worked for me in the past.

Sadly yours,

Freddy

that means it can't find the Operating System, what you have to do is make sure that the Hard Drive that has the Operating System should be on Master over slave

when you hook up the extra drive up you should made sure that the mobo was set to boot from the original hdd in the bios

when you hook up the extra drive up you should made sure that the mobo was set to boot from the original hdd in the bios

ahh thank you for the explanation in case he doesn't understand my complicated Tech-Talk :D

I think Eric has this one right. The drive you added is seen as the master drive now and that is why you can not boot to Windows.

Osiris has it right as to how to fix this problem.

Yes sorry vernong you were right before them. My bad for not acknowledging that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom