Help me turn my computer on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help me turn my computer on

I have seen several computer utilities that will automatically turn a computer off. Is there a utility that will automatically turn it on? I want my computer to turn on at 4 in the morning while I am still in dreamland, download my antivirus updates, do a complete scan and then download emails, etc.....would be nice if it could make my coffee too, so that when I get up at 6 a.m. everything is all good to go.

Is there such a program?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Help me turn my computer on

Not to my knowledge, why not just leave it on with the monitor switched off. I do that 90% off the time with no ill effects on my hardware.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

If you want it to turn on from a cold boot. No. the PC has nothing working at that time and there is no way to just wake it from a cold boot, log you in and do these actions. You would haev to leave your PC in standby or hibernate to be able to accomplish these tasks.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Agreed, there are no timers for this use. But let me ask you, why haven't they come up with one? I mean seriously, they have other products that will turn on when there is electricity, so why can't you make a switch that will boot up your computer when a timer goes off? I think that would be a great thing to have.

Found it: How to Automatically Turn on a Computer at a Specified Time - wikiHow

Haven't read all the way through, but seems simple enough.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Isn't there a setting in the BIOS to wake on alarm, I believe its called? Can't you set it at a certain time from that, or am I thinking wrong on that one. Not entirely for sure, because I've never used that function of the BIOS before.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Isn't there a setting in the BIOS to wake on alarm, I believe its called? Can't you set it at a certain time from that, or am I thinking wrong on that one. Not entirely for sure, because I've never used that function of the BIOS before.
No go on that one. You have to trip the circut to create power to the computer, the bios (software) can't do that, if physically has to be done.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Ah, ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Lex. What's the wake on alarm function for then? Never really was sure what it was for, exactly.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

If it is a server (or I guess you may be able to get one for a regular PC) you could look into an Integrated Lights Out card. It uses your network connection and you can boot a machine remotely.
This. HP Integrated Lights-Out - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or this.
Out-of-band management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Failing that, try soft music, candles and talking nice.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I have my computer set to turn on at 8:30 every morning. I'm running vista ultimate, but I can't remember how I set it to do that, I'll check when I'm next on my computer (upstairs pc atm).
So yes, there's definitely a way to automatically start your computer.

EDIT: <Snipped>, can't find how I did it yet. Is there any way to log what's happening?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
Found it: How to Automatically Turn on a Computer at a Specified Time - wikiHow

Haven't read all the way through, but seems simple enough.
That's a great idea. I was thinking about the possibility of using a timer, but I hadn't figured out how to bypass the power button yet. But it's slightly easier than what they said. You can buy timers that you can plug something into, so you don't really need to cut your power cord and wire it into a timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I have my computer set to turn on at 8:30 every morning. I'm running vista ultimate, but I can't remember how I set it to do that, I'll check when I'm next on my computer (upstairs pc atm).
So yes, there's definitely a way to automatically start your computer.

EDIT: dammit, can't find how I did it yet. Is there any way to log what's happening?
There's no way to have it turn on with software from a completely off stage. You're probably turning it on from hibernation or standby mode, which appears to be completely off, but not quite.