help me stop my brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
ok heres the deal....
my house has 2 pc's....mine which only i use :

windows xp pro SP1.....just the plain old school xp pro
and the "family pc" which is running...windows xp home with all the updates and SP2...
these pc's are on a wireless LAN and i use the fasmily pc as a server for some of my files as it has a big HDD. my little brother goes on the pc upstairs under his own user area..there is one fro weach family member he is not administrator and yet he still manages to screw the pc at least twice a week with some problem..i was just wondering in my school when i login as a student i can only see wot the admins want me to se under the start menu so the basic MS office etc.. and i cant run any exe's and its pretty hard to do anythign uneducational..is there a way i can incorprate this on the family pc but only for his user i think its to do with editing to registry btu maybe someone advanced enough or who works in IT administration *cough* warez monster*cough* :D i have no trouble following instructions and editing registry keys thats if this is hwo i can do it any help is much appriciated

Its easy enough for pro you can just set policies for that user, i'm not sure how you would go about it in home though, or if policies exist.
If it does come down to registy editing you might want to use an app like x-setup rather than hunt for the keys manually.

X Setup

This might be useful

Agree with Mr Cofee. Look at the account policies for your brother's account. Look at what he is doing to mess with things and restrict his useage accordingly. Sounds like you need to make this a four step process:

1) Analysis - look at what your brother is doing that is causing problems and come up with restrictions to prevent him from causing troubble;

2) Approval - Get approval from a parent, your mother or father will need to play ref with this one so get their buy in before you implement anything;

3) implement - and let your parent play ref, if you have got buy in on the last step then you have a simple task here.

4) Monitor - keep a watch on what your brother is doing and look for things he does that casue problems - foucs on the destructive nature of what he is doing you will go further with this approach. Refine restrictions based on what he does, get further buy in before implementation of each refinement.

Also think of a keylogger that will record every keystroke your brother does. This way you have a trail to a) assist in your refinements and b) this trail will help you get buy in.

Emphasize that this work helps prepare you for later jobs. What you are doing is essentialy what I do on the job every day and I get paid bucks for doing this. Might say something like "doing this sort of thing helps me get experience for later job applications". Use the terms security analyst and network administrator (my job title). By having a brother runnin amouk like this he is acutally doing you a favor by providing you with valuable job experience (oh, use that work too). Don't use the term restrict, your brother is actually helping you out here prepare for later jobs.

i have done this..and before i have used software called 007 spysoft to see what he was doing and basically he does all the internet dont's:

downlaod smileys and buddy icons for msn
will download anythign that has "lol/lmao/funnyiest vid ever" in the name
any other software you can think of that comes with a big load of spy/adware n stuff he gets

what i would liek to do is liek i described at my school allow him to run

firefox,MS office, print, save, either dissallow him to run any exe's (i mean to install stuff not any running programme this is what happens in my school) and "rebuild his desktop like my school, my layout at school as a student is

under start the admins have take off all control panel everythign and redone it so instead of all proggramess and my computer called "student accesories" etc.. anyway i can do this? on XP home SP2

If your account is password protected with a password that he can not guess at all, he can't get on

If you disabled the administrator account, he cant get on

If you have the admin account enabled enabled but strongly password protected, he cant get on.

If the guest acount is disabled, he cant get on.

He can't go on in Safe Mode either

The only was he can get on that I know of is if he has a keylogger installed or he is using a password reset bootdisk that is on a floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom