Help me eliminate some confusion between MS Office and Openoffice compatibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Since I built my pc, like majority of the folks here, you don't get the package deal of operating systems and office programs. Now, the version of office that I do have that was pirated anyway from my cousin who worked at the pentagon a few years back, the key mysteriously stopped working. My bet is, because we kept re-writing the key on a different notecard because it was getting pretty banged up, that somewhere along the line we messed up a character or two... Because it does work, MS Office with that key is upstairs on the Dell and works fine.

Anyway, I was told about Openoffice. I tried it out and wow, I'm loving it. However, I was doing some group work at college and another member notified me that the Openoffice document I sent to them didn't work. I said, how can this be? I was told they're compatible!

Just as a test, I saved a series of document with different kinds of pictures in them (gif, bitmap, jpg, etc) to see if Microsoft Word would pick them up and display them AS THEY SHOULD.

I put them in the shared documents and went upstairs and brought them up on the Dell. The Dell's MS Office did not respond to the documents when I tried to open them, it asked me to find an appropriate program from the list or web site.

More or less, from what I've seen, Openoffice "Word" IS NOT compatible with MS Word in both 00 and 03 versions. (my buddy has 00, and had the same shit).

All we bring up is coding......

How can I get by this?

Note: This also happened with WordPerfect. Is WordPerfect a pretty nice word program? It seemed nice, but I wanted excel too for college... hence getting openoffice...

I've tried finding a new key... I haven't had much luck, and once I found openoffice I just said f**k it, if I have this I don't need the headache of going through the finding-a-new-key bullshit.

I'll try rockxp though.

Regardless, I'd still like to know why a program said to be compatible with MS Word in my experience, is definitely not compatible...

Rock XP recognizes Windows XP... But it does not recognize any other Microsoft software being on the system...

Openoffice sounds, oh so much better right about now...

OpenOffice can open Microsoft Office documents, but Microsoft Office won't open OpenOffice documents. This is the type of shit you get with Microsoft and any of their **** products.

P.S. You didn't have to give us that much detail LOL, but it's ok because I don't really care for Microsoft, they already make enough money.

EDIT******************** - Still unsure of why I can't get Rock XP to recognize that office is installed so I can see the key......... ANY IDEAS?

I figured you didn't need that much detail, but I only realized that after I was done typing it and figured "pffft, what the hell?" and just submitted it.

Since this is my **** thread here I've made a decision to change the subject. :D Mostly because I wasn't sure what category it would fit under...

ANYWAY:

I'm a real cheap bastard. I love watching movies, but I hate buying them. I want to start renting DVD's and being able to "download" them to my hard drive. I don't plan on making copies or anything like that, I just want to buy a second hard drive and have those JUST for movies.

Now, would I need a DVD-RW drive for that? Or do I just need a DVD-Rom to play the DVD? What program would encode the movie so I would get 100% DVD quality on the movie, assuming at a later date I play it from my hard drive? (And NOT from the DVD).

actually it does give u ur office keys

ROCKXP.jpg

and can be found here

ROCKXP

AMD 2800-

In that drop down menu, I have nothing.

Why? Office 2k3 is installed... It's a fact... It's there... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom