Help-Laptop is locked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patti V

Beta member
Hello-

I don't know if this is the correct forum or not, but I have a problem. I also know just about zilch about computers. Just enough to be really dangerous.

Anyway, I had read a lot of discussion concerning Norton, and as my subscription was about to expire, I decided to uninstall Norton and download Zone Alarm. I used Window add/remove feature to uninstall Norton and also used the Norton Removal Tool. I used Ccleaner to check the registry and also went in to the program files and deleted any files with Norton or Symantec. Every time I did the next step, I would restart my computer and everything was working fine. I used O&O defrag to clean everything up and then I proceeded to download Zone Alarm. Everything was working just great when zone alarm informed me that I needed to update virus definitions. I did so and it then prompted me to restart my computer for everything to be OK. I did so.

I got up for just a minute and when I returned to my laptop, I had this horrible blue screen looking at me with a message that:

"a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer."

Farther down there is this information:

"Technical Information" STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8215B5D0, 0x8215B744, 0x805C74768)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Now, the problem is this. I can't get the my laptop to do anything. I can't get it to restart or even turn if off. I don't have a Windows XP Media Center program CD as I didn't get one when I purchased the laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Is my laptop completely ruined? Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

try to get to safe mode by hitting f8 upon boot. if you do run a system restore to before zonealarm.

if you can't get to safe mode, get an erd commander 2005 cd

Thanks for your response. How do I get the laptop to boot back up if I don't have a program CD to boot from?

I can't get the laptop to response to any keystrokes. I can't even turn the power off to get it to do anything. I probably will just take the thing to a guy I know in town that works on computers and see if he can do anything.

Does anyone know if it was just a bad installation of zone alarm or something left behind of Norton that screwed up the zone alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom