Help keeping/transfering data - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Help keeping/transfering data

I have this old p3 800MHz Dell. I have recenly upgraded my other computer to this one i have here in my specs. With the old parts of the previous I wanted to through together a system using the info on the dell's 20gig harddrive.

I want to copy/mirror/ghost (not familiar with this) the files on the Dell's old harddrive onto this 80 gig harddrive and use it with my better parts. Is this possible? I don't want to reinstall everything because then i will have to go through all that mess AND activate things again and XP home might not let me use my cd key again.

Help me please!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Unless your motherboard is identical or very similar, you won't be able to boot from the ghosted or cloned drive. You can slave it into the new box and get files off it. It's all about the HAL.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I am going to click on the replied link above, but from reading your post. Yes the system is very different. the Oldest cpu, the dell is where the harddrive will come from. I'm mainly concerned about the CD key for XP, and not being able to reactivate it. The system i want to get the info onto is a mobo NF7 series with AMD 2400+ processor. Much different from the dell.

Could I just plug in that same harddrive to the newly put together system, using all my old parts?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

I want to setup the new computer with the cloned info of my old disk running off the larger disk it was cloned to.

I'm curious if the computer will load this though.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

No, the HD from the old computer will not boot in the new machine unless there is some sort of miracle happening. When you load Windows it uses the Hardware Abstraction Layer which basically installs Windows for the hardware you have. It would be wonderful if this wasn't the case, but it is.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

a repair will let you boot it , but you should do a fresh install. when you done installing activate it. it won't go through, but it will give you a number. call them and tell them that you had a virus and you had to reformat your computer

Closed Thread