Help with installing win 7 on Dell Optiplex 745

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantchar20

Solid State Member
Okay so, I recieved a Dell optiplex 745 from a friend who had recently upgraded, it had no disk or hard drive (I've disabled SATA 1 which is where my disk drive would be) when i got it, I put in my old seagate momentus 5400 2 (50 gig (i know i was low on $$)) and have been trying to load windows 7 from a USB, I have tried XP but it always says "boot disk not available, F1 to restart F2 for setup utility" I have run a processor check and a memory check and the diagnostic passes, anyways when i boot from USB it will always say

"windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. choose your language settings and click next.
3. Click repair your computer

If you do not have this disk, contact your system admin or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: ( usually system32/boot/windows)

sometimes 7 will load up and i get the flag and the setup screen with everything working, so i erase all the partitions and attempt to install it (X64) , it always fails at some time after copying the files, I've attempted to repair the computer using the windows repair tool and it always gets BSOD with different error codes. Ex
STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
the initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000221 0x001003a8).
the system has been shut down.

Is it the hard drive or is the computer just moody?? I have tried different versions of 7 and yeeaaahhh :/ Here are my specs:
Seagate Momentus 5400 2
Foxconn l s-36 Motherboard
Stock processor, fan
1.512`Gigs of ram (ddr2)
Dell model: D280P-00 (280 watt) and the USB im using is a lexar 8GB usb,

PLEASE HELP I'VE PUT AT LEAST 15 HOURS IN THIS

P.S i am semi computer savvy, I usually run with laptops, but i am not completely computer illiterate.

1.512 Gb of ram .. so you have two DDR2 installed ..

Try to remove the 512 mb DDR2 and try to clean the other ram and it's slot , or clean them both .. BUT CAREFULLY DO THAT .

It is better to install xp on this pc ...but I'm wondering why you are loading Win7 from usb any way ! .. this usually does not work !!
Are you installing windows from usb ? it is not a long story to install windows from a flash disk . or even make it bootable just like Hiren's CDs . but usually after several times you must re-make it or it will make problems just as you got .

Also .. BSOD can be caused by not supporting USB as a legasy device .. this can be enabled from the bios .

this what I have in my mind for now ..
:)

1.512 Gb of ram .. so you have two DDR2 installed ..

Try to remove the 512 mb DDR2 and try to clean the other ram and it's slot , or clean them both .. BUT CAREFULLY DO THAT .

It is better to install xp on this pc ...but I'm wondering why you are loading Win7 from usb any way ! .. this usually does not work !!
Are you installing windows from usb ? it is not a long story to install windows from a flash disk . or even make it bootable just like Hiren's CDs . but usually after several times you must re-make it or it will make problems just as you got .

Also .. BSOD can be caused by not supporting USB as a legasy device .. this can be enabled from the bios .

this what I have in my mind for now ..
Will do,
Also i have tried to install xp from USB but it doesnt work?? I use power iso to mount it and make it bootable, it has worked numerous times in the past.
I have tried to mount hirens on a USB as well but no dice (I have no other disk drives) thanks for the input!!!

You are welcome ..

For making usb bootable the only thing worked for me is :
win2flash < for making windows installation from usb
and for hiren's since v13 the method is written in the disk with the needed programs .

Hiren's v13 or later .. any linux system with terminal and right permissions .. the usb_inst folder that comes with Hiren's and the method is :

as written in the file 01-USB-INSTALLATION

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------
How to create a bootable usb from the files on the CD.
-------------------------------------------------------
Warning: All data on the stick will be erased.

* Start SystemRescue from the CD.
* Insert a >=1Gb USB stick.  
  The total size needed is 650MB.  
  The rest is available to store other files.
  ------------------------------------------------------------------
  Note.
  In the following commands replace the xx's with what is 
  appropriate  for your USB stick. e.g. sdb1 or sdc1.
  If you don't know them, find the correct device letters with:
  fdisk -l  or   fsarchiver probe

*  mkfs.vfat -F32 -n HIRENS /dev/sdxx           (Format the stick)
*  mkdir /mnt/usb                               (Create a mountpoint)
×*  mount /dev/sdxx /mnt/usb                     (Mount the stick)
*  mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom                    (Mount the CDROM)
*  cp -Rfv /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/usb/               (Copy files to the stick. Wait...
)
××*  cd /mnt/cdrom/usb-inst                       
*  ./syslinux -i -d isolinux /dev/sdxx          (Install syslinux in the stick)
    Note.
    In the next command it must be a device sdb or sdc et.c.
    *not* a partition sdb1 or sdc1 et.c  
*  dd if=./mbr.bin of=/dev/sdx                  (Copy MBR to stick) 
*  sync                                         (Clear buffered data)

--- The stick is ready to boot!
since you don't have it bootable you can do this :

{ Edited }
1- copy Hiren's to the flash disk but remember not to store it inside folder ! put it on the root of your flash disk just like it was in the root of CD .
2- boot from linux
3-insert your USB
4- do step × (mount the usb)
5- continue from step ×× but replace CDROM with your usb mounted dir .

:smile:

Okay so I looked for system rescue in the programs and it wasnt there?? uhmmm any suggestions I have hirens 14.0

after looking for Hiren's 14 .. I didn't use it yet because there is alot of missing programs ..

it is the Gparted Linux .. the same as rescue CD . :)

after looking for Hiren's 14 .. I didn't use it yet because there is alot of missing programs ..

it is the Gparted Linux .. the same as rescue CD . :)

Thank you soooo much,

Okay sooo with that code can i get a step by step?? like, open this then type this ____?? i am like soooo lost

WwWell .. hmmm .. for what step by step you want ?
If you mean usb boot .. we are so lost away from your thread and that is illegal .. sorry admin
beside It will take some time to write how to make usb flash bootable ...

I'll open a thread explains that ..

Add :
Nothing is step by step when it comes to an advanced work .. Just like that I can't tell you that the golden pins in the Ram is down in the slot !! .. That code is step by step IF you have the Hiren's CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom