HELP: Installing english WinXP on Japanese VAIO Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default HELP: Installing english WinXP on Japanese VAIO Laptop

A friend sent me a VAIO notebook (PCG-U1), and I'm trying to convert it to english.

I formatted and installed an English version of windows xp and everything seems to work right off the installation (didnt ask me for any driver except the video)

However, i am faced with ONE HUGE DILEMA.. the Fn hotkeys and the navigation scroller thing isnt working at all.

i spent about 2 days going through the sony websites (including the japanese ones-boy that was painful)..

I installed the Jog Dial Navigator, and the Hotkeys.exe file, etc etc.. but nothing seems to work.. it seems that they are UTILITIES, and the actual hardware drivers are what i need..

I can't find them anywhere.. but did notice that the RECOVERY CDs of these VAIOs deploys with them all the necessary drivers.. but i can't seem to find a way to extract them off the recovery cds, nor find them online for download and manual installation..

I really hope you guys can help..

Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: HELP: Installing english WinXP on Japanese VAIO Laptop

i got the hotkeys to work by installing the sony shared library thing and the hotkey utilities and stuff..

but the scroll thing is still not working despite installing the sony Jog Dial Navigator

Closed Thread