Help installing 2nd hdd and OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
Help needed doing this if it is possible
I am dual booting on a 80gb ide drive (XP & Windows 7) I'm wanting to add a clean 120gb ide drive and clone? or reinstall? windows 7 to it,
Remove windows 7 partition with out messing up my XP guessing I will have to repair mbr somehow ? after removing windows 7.
Never tried dual booted on 2 separate drives before not sure how to go about it or best way to connect them? set Bios? and how do I pick which HDD on start up to boot ?.

Been searching the forum for hrs I'm :confused:

Thanks for any help, suggestions, and tips I'm still Learning :laughing:

OK, you currently have your 80 gig split in to 2 partitions, XP as first boot and win 7 as the second..? and you want to add a second drive to move your Win7 partition on to..?

Well, the second drive will work the same way as your two partitions in your boot menu do now.

The move should be no problem, but I don't know about the fix on the mbr.

You could copy your partition over to your drive, then unplug your new copy, boot into XP then wipe your partition with win7, but before you do this get the details on how to fix the mbr once you have made the move.

Thanks for the help
I'm thinking now to just reinstall 7 on the new drive and removing it from the XP drive

How should I connect the new drive? as slave to the 80gb?,or on the DVD side master? or slave?

And If I don't have 7 on it will it be recognized by the system if not, how would I get to it ?

Sorry for all the questions just not wanting mess up my XP.

Install the Drive. Leave the XP Drive attached and put the new drive as slave. Dont worry installing Windows 7 will not affect your XP install at all.

Then boot from the Windows 7 DVD and go thru the install. When given the drive selection screen just select the newly installed drive.

I have installed OS's many times with having other OS's installed and not once have i had my other OS's impacted by the install.

How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots

That will be helpful to you. It will be almost the same exact thing except Windows 7 not Vista.

Thanks Mak for the speedy reply I'm going to gave it a shot tomorrow wasn't sure about
after removing 7 from my XP drive not messing up the boot loader

I once removed vista from and XP dual boot had a heck of a time fixing the boot.

let you know when I get it done

Thanks

To fix the XP Boot, just insert the XP CD. Go to the Recovery Console and use the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

To fix the XP Boot, just insert the XP CD. Go to the Recovery Console and use the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

I think thats what I did that time before to fix it

Thanks for the help

More help needed I got new hdd installed and it shows up in disk management as F drive and formated ntfs but when I boot It doesn't show in boot menu probable due to no OS on it.
When I boot with the windows 7 dvd to install I don't get option there to pick it either dvd loads files then go's Idle

Suggestion on how to get 7 on it

Thanks

You can load a Drive if there is no OS on it. You will get a boot error. What do you mean DVD loads fine then goes idle? Does it start the install process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom