Help, Help, Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to tunnel3543
Default Help, Help, Help

My home computer is not starting up properly. I turn on the computer the Asus globe comes up then when the Xp screen that has the bar that runs on the bottom of it just keeps running. I can start the computer in safe mode but not sure what to do next? can someone please help......

Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

run a virus scan and spyware scan

Old 07-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

can i do that in safe mode?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tunnel3543
can i do that in safe mode?
sure you can. get that done first. before you run other checks.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

have you added any new hardware latley? As bizarre a question as this might sound it is actually relevant.

Recently i added my 7th IDE HDD When i did my machine would do exactly the same. The pc would not crash or freeze in any way, it wold just continue to sit there with the line moving accross the screen from left to right... When i removed the 7th drive the pc booted fine? So i tried adding a DVDRom and the same problem again, so i tried a different configuration, and still it happended again. I eventuall looked this up and thought it was a power issue. However i hav a 550w power supply and that is ample for 7 HDD.

My point is if you have just made a recent hard ware configuration change make sure you undo the change and check again. For example if you have added a slave drive and have the jumpers incorrect this can some times cause this prolem etc etc etc.

If not never mind was just an idea as i have this problem with adding 8 devices on my 4 IDE channels.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am using a cheap virus scan that i recieved from sbc...can i go buy norton and install it in safe mode?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TheElise
have you added any new hardware latley? As bizarre a question as this might sound it is actually relevant.

Recently i added my 7th IDE HDD When i did my machine would do exactly the same. The pc would not crash or freeze in any way, it wold just continue to sit there with the line moving accross the screen from left to right... When i removed the 7th drive the pc booted fine? So i tried adding a DVDRom and the same problem again, so i tried a different configuration, and still it happended again. I eventuall looked this up and thought it was a power issue. However i hav a 550w power supply and that is ample for 7 HDD.

My point is if you have just made a recent hard ware configuration change make sure you undo the change and check again. For example if you have added a slave drive and have the jumpers incorrect this can some times cause this prolem etc etc etc.

If not never mind was just an idea as i have this problem with adding 8 devices on my 4 IDE channels.
No have not installed anything, shut the computer down on friday went out of town and now this on Sunday night....
Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tunnel3543
I am using a cheap virus scan that i recieved from sbc...can i go buy norton and install it in safe mode?
go into safemode with networking so you can update it when you install it. uninstall your other av first.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

Don't go out and buy Norton or McAfee, you can download AVAST or AVG for free! They are better IMHO than Norton and MUCH better than McAfee.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by macdude425
Don't go out and buy Norton or McAfee, you can download AVAST or AVG for free! They are better IMHO than Norton and MUCH better than McAfee.
http://www.webroot.com/
http://www.avast.com/

i agree, these are what i use for spyware and av most

Closed Thread